Monday, August 31, 2020

Monday This and That

Well, another week has begun and it looks to be a busy one for me.  I'm going to start packing away the summer and bringing out the fall.  I always say a little at a time but it never ends up that way.  Once I get started I hate to stop until it is all done.  And while I am packing the summer away I am also going to pack some things to bring to my son and his girl in their new apartment, stuff to make it look homey. I've so much, much more than this small apartment can hold so it's time to de-clutter some and this time it doesn't bother me to part with things because I know where they will be going.  

Got some great news on Friday.  Creativity is going to continue for the time being as well.  So my two favorite classes are not ending for the time being.  Yes, yes, yes.  Speaking of Creativity, Friday's class started with a discussion of passion and somehow morphed into what the new norm may be.  None of us know what the future holds, but we could all agree that it won't be the same norm that we will remember.  All will be new. 

Normal will no longer be taken for granted.  Playing Yahtzee in person with my friends, laughing and making so much noise that there were complaints, then laughing about the complaints.  Hugs from family members and friends.  Conversations with strangers on the bus. Monthly parties at the center.  I will never  again will I view situations like these as anything less than the amazing privileges of life they are.

Speaking of normal, or the new normal, this week I plan on riding the bus for the first time since March.  I have some checks to put in the bank, and although hubby would gladly drive me, I think it's time that I step out of my comfort zone....very carefully of course...with mask, gloves and hand sanitizer.  It's time to take these little steps.  After all, we do have the lowest virus level here in the country.  

Sunday I opened a can of the diced potatoes the city sent in one of their boxes.  I knew hubby wouldn't eat as is.  Actually neither would I.  So I dressed them up some, and they turned out so yummy.

As you know, I love working with spices so for this dish I added garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.  Sauteed them in butter. 

Speaking of food from the city.  It's time to let go.  When the woman from the center calls and asks if I want her to sign me up again, I think this time I will say no.  The frozen foods have gotten atrocious, and it's the same thing over and over again.  And now that I have discovered the cheap prices of Amazon Pantry and Amazon Fresh I can order things I need.  Now, with September arriving I can start concentrating on the healthy soups that I love.  The only thing I will miss about these food deliveries are the boxes they send which usually include cereal, fruit cups, some canned goods, and other staples.  Plus, if, God forbid we have a second wave, and hubby and I can no longer get to the market, I can always get back on the list.  I am sure this is the right decision for me right now.




7 comments:

  1. Great idea to share some of your household treasures with your son and his girlfriend's for their new apartment.
    You are so right Mary...we all need to adjust to a different style of living. I am not very good with changing my lifestyle when I liked the old way.
    You did a great creative job on the canned diced potatoes. They look tasty.
    You are a brave soul...best of luck on the bus ride.

    Show us some of your fall decorating when you get a chance. Autumn's the best season ever as far as I am concerned.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't hang out indoors anymore. It was taking its toll.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your two favourite classes are continuing for now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful news about the classes.
    And a big hooray for stepping outside again - carefully.
    It does sound as if letting those boxed go is the right decision for you at the moment.
    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sick of that food. It has gotten so tasteless.

      Delete
  4. I've been hearing such good things about the Amazon Fresh and the Pantry. Sadly it isn't available in our area yet. I'm have a love/hate thing with going in a store. I really don't like other people picking out my produce. And so many times they claim something is out of stock when it isn't. One store chain got in trouble for doing this and got a big fine.
    If the food is that bad, I wouldn't sign up again either. But tell them, might help to make changes if they how bad it is.
    YAY for favorite classes!!!

    ReplyDelete