Thursday, August 27, 2020

Just a Bit of Anything

What a beautiful morning yesterday....a taste of fall.  It's was cool with a wonderful breeze.  I went for my walk and stood out front of the building for awhile.  Just wanted to take it all in.  Soon enough every morning will be like this.  Also got some hopefully good news.  The intern who runs our Game Day and Friday Creativity class said she has no classes on her schedule on those mornings so she has contacted the center to see if she can continue with the classes on a volunteer basis. That would be a dream come true.

In January I was elected to the Senior Council at our center.  I was the secretary.  We had two meetings, and then Covid hit.  The center was closed.  I'd almost forgotten I was on the council until I received a call from the council president.  The director of the center would like us to have an online council meeting in early September.  I like that idea, and I hope that the entire council attends....although I doubt that very much.  But, I'll be there, and I'm anxious for what they have to say.  Maybe some news about opening the center, but I really don't believe that will happen for awhile yet.  We seniors are vulnerable, and they want to protect us.

I have my counseling later this afternoon.  I started about only positive things last week, and it caught her ear.  Going to continue with that today.  Counseling was something I needed when my son first passed, but that was almost 5 months ago.  Sometimes we have to stand strong by ourselves.   The 6 week grief course I took was far more helpful in dealing with my feelings. She wants me to open up my feelings, but does nothing to help me deal with them as the course did.  I would take that again in a minute. 

My little Hippie Angel.  I'd done this one for my daughter, but now I feel like keeping this one for myself. 

Closing with another of our Friday poems.

 Nostalgia
Grandma always comes up!
She was special to all of us. (Me)
When I hear the Cyclone, I think of being a kid
Coney Island is my youth in a time capsule.
The smell of a leg of lamb reminds me of Sundays with Grandma. (Me)
She had a lilac bush and now whenever I smell lilacs I go back. (Me)
Campania's Sunday Sauce is like going back to my Grandma's table.

It was a different time and place.
Running through the woods with no fear.
My wooden friend from 60 yrs ago is still with me.
Anything that brings me back to my childhood is wonderful
The smell of turpentine. (Me)
I painted my granddad's work area in the basement brown. (Me)
Little did I know I had painted with the brushes hat were being cleaned in the turpentine. (Me)
Boy was he ever mad at me! (Me)

Halloween!  Going house to house for candy. (Me)
Easter! Looking for my basket.
Nostalgia movies
"A Christmas Story" (Me)
Christmas as it was for me. (Me)
Tinsel
That was the fun part
The last part.
Toss it on the tree. 
I bought a box from Amazon. (Me)
Was very pretty, but, oh, what a mess. (Me)

This pandemic has shown me that nostalgia can also be for the recent past. (Me)
Right now a hug from a friend would be nostalgic. (Me)
Yahtzee in person
Mo Goldberg (Me)
So much laughter. (Me)
They said we made too much noise. (Me)
Will we ever make that noise again? (Me)







5 comments:

  1. At least you are hearing some good news here and there.
    Your angel is Beautiful!
    I love the dream catcher, too.
    Maybe someday things will return to normal.
    I know that you like to remain active and love the senior center get togethers.

    Have a lovely day and stay safe 🌷☕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so used to running about, always having some place to go. I do hope we find answers to this Covid thing soon.

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you had some great news about the intern. And a few other snippets too.
    It sounds as if that particular counsellor is just not right for you. Let her go if you can. I don't think that she can help you - which is after all what she is there for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are right. I should let her go, but I find it hard to do.

      Delete
  3. I hope our senior center will be open for business soon, but they have been remodeling it for months..supposed to be done by september...yeah, nope..we have so few people that I think they could keep it safe..2 at a table..and food only from meals on wheels.

    ReplyDelete