Friday, August 14, 2020

Friday Roundup

What miserable weather we have been having here.  So hot and humid, and this week also gray and wet.  Each time it rains I hope it cools it off, but it ends up just as hot afterwards.  I'll be glad to see fall roll around this year.  I don't feel like doing much of anything.  Forget my daily walk.  Yesterday I got halfway down the block and turned around and came back, already drenched with sweat.  

According the center, the city food program will be ending soon.   I don't understand at all.  Senior centers are not open and the meals eaten there are the only meals some seniors get.  How can you stop them?  It's still not safe out there. And now, it's big news that there is a cluster of Covid in Sunset Park, my area.  Where the rest of the city has a 1% positivity rate, Sunset Park has a 6.9%.  NYC Health & Hospitals has been calling and texting me about getting tested.  The fact is, the only way I could catch it is if hubby brings it home, and he got tested by his doctor and no antibodies. 

Had my last grief class on zoom on Wednesday.  I sure am going to miss everyone I met there.  I have suggested maybe another follow up course, but who knows.  I did cancel my appointment yesterday with my grief counselor. I don't know what it is about her, but I try my best to avoid our sessions.  I can't put my finger on it, but in a way, I just feel it is a waste of our time.  Like one time she asked me if I had any anger over the loss of my son.  Well, of course, there is anger about my niece, but her question was about his death itself.  I told her I was angry with Covid.  Her response was 'that's a virus. Tell me how you hold anger against a virus."  I felt that a stupid question.  Last night the instructor spoke about Covid and how many of us hold anger towards it because it makes the grieving process even more difficult since we cannot really say good bye to our loved ones.  He said these feelings were normal.  

When they deliver food to me they always include apples.  I cannot digest them, even when I skin them.  But I can eat them cooked.  The other day I got 4 apples and made a stove top apple dessert.


Just peeled the apples and sauteed in low fat butter and seasoned with cinnamon and nutmeg.  No sugar.  Served it later with the sugarless ice cream we had purchased by mistake.  Ice cream was wanted, but not sugarless.


Now look how high they are.  Wish they would just slow down a little, but that is only prolonging the inevitable. 


 Colored this picture for my friend who loves playing the guitar.  Will frame it and give it to her when I finally get to see her.


Colored this one for my great granddaughter who loves unicorns.  

More to come tomorrow.





12 comments:

  1. Mmmm, those apples look good. I believe applesauce is quite easy to make too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made applesauce. Very easy to make, but I have so much applesauce accumulated from the center meals.

      Delete
  2. You are going through so much. I am not a grief counselor but in my humble opinion, covid-19 is a cause of death and sickness...so to hate this horrible disease sounds perfectly logical to me.
    I am also sorry to hear about a breakout of covid-19 in your area.

    Stay Safe and Keep Strong 🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Forgot to say how beautiful your art is!

      Delete
    2. Actually, it's an adult coloring book. I wish I could paint like that.

      Delete
  3. Strange how similar our weather is, in spite of our living so far from each other. It has been intolerably hot here too, and the violent thunderstorms haven't helped much to cool things down. Like you, I don't feel like doing much in the heat. It just seems to drain away all your energy, doesn't it?!
    I have to admit, I didn't find grief counselling very helpful after my daughter passed away. Everything they said seemed cold and uncaring to me. It probably wasn't meant that way, but was just how I felt at the time. I do hope you are managing reasonably well.
    Please remember, I am here if ever you need a shoulder.😊😊

    Have a safe and healthy weekend.

    Much love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you told me that about the grief counselor. I thought it was just me that felt that way. I actually dread Thursday afternoons with her. I am so sorry you lost your daughter. Losing a child hurts so bad.

      Delete
  4. I am sorry that your grief counsellor was so wrong for you and from the little you have shared she sounds as if she works from a text book rather than empathy. Which is so very wrong.
    I am also very sorry about the outbreak in your area.
    Stay as well as you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems this nightmare will never end. Just saw on the news about a shooting at block party. Why are you having block parties with Covid around?

      Delete
  5. Sorry to read that Covid 19 is increasing in your area, here in the UK some towns and cities have also experienced the same.
    It really is not going to go away, we must all keep taking care to stay as safe as we can.

    On a positive note ... I do like your colouring, it is nice and colourful and cheerful looking.
    Your apples too look good.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I fear you are right. It is not going to go away too quickly. But, the 1918 flu eventually disappeared so I pray this will too.

      Delete
  6. covid is going up here too..I get so angry..so very angry.

    ReplyDelete