Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Wednesday Rant

Nothing new on the spice saga.  Still waiting for the refund to land in my account. They said the money had already been released to my bank.  No update to the scathing review until then.  People can say anything.  It's what they do that counts.  

And now onto another saga--the mess next door.  Grrrr!!!  They are moving forward with it rather quickly now, unfortunately.  I'll soon be saying good bye to the sunlight the brightens my home. Scaffolding going up now. That will definitely darken my home and once that comes down, that ugly building will be there. Good bye sunshine. I need to find some good lamps to keep my plants alive.




Look how close they are. Actually building it on our property. The scaffolding will actually half cover my bedroom window. (Bottom window on the end.)

I guess I'm upset because I kept hoping that this would fall through.  Realistically, I knew that it wouldn't.  Even though they had several 'Stop Work Orders', I knew they would find a way to do this.  I'd hoped they be like some of the rest of the buildings and run out of money.  That happens quite frequently in this area.  They pay millions for a house that is worth far less, just to tear it down and build these huge monstrosities with glass fronts that look so out of place in this neighborhood.   Several of them ran out of money and these tall buildings stand with only outer shell.  

These are Chinese businessmen who are doing this.  They go door to door offering a huge amount of money hoping the owner can't refuse.  My friend at WW said they were driving she and her husband crazy, but she did not bend.  She was not going to give up her home.

I honestly don't know the purpose of all these buildings. They are NOT housing.  In fact, they tear down housing to build them.  And then they all sit empty, even those that are completed. This next door is supposedly going to be an 8 story service center....but they have a 6 story service center right next door to it and another down the block.  Meanwhile, housing is at a shortage here in the city and so many families are ending up in shelters.  It just doesn't seem fair to me. There has to be another way.

11 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that you are losing your source of light. That is so important to our well being.

    Reasonable housing is needed, brick and mortar business spaces are not and are going to be passé. This virus has moved this trend along to the new reality more than anything. People working from home is cheaper and viable and soon, there will be a lot of empty buildings and shopping areas deserted. I don’t think it is ideal but it is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true what you say. I wanted to move when I discovered what was going up next door but there is nothing out there. I am so thankful my children are grown and on their own.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, makes you wonder, doesn't it? Are they getting some kind of tax write-off or something for building all these useless buildings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby is a bit of a conspiracy theorist. He thinks the Chinese are getting these buildings ready for when they take over. Personally, I think they are just trying to make this area look like their home country with all the tall monstrosities.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry. And Arleen is right. Not only about the importance of light, but about the need for such buildings. My cynical self wonders about 'money laundering'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my hubby is very cynical about this. He may very well be right.

      Delete
  4. We all need sunshine and light.I certainly hope that as you look for light bulbs for your plants that you will find some for you, too.
    China must have some reason for buying as many buildings that they can. If no one is trying to stop them it will continue.
    Have a Nice Day and Stay Safe 🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are changing the face of Brooklyn for sure.

      Delete
  5. Sunshine and light is important, so I do hope you can find suitable light for yourself and your plants.

    Thinking of you.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also need for me and my reading. Sitting here now with the drapes drawn because they are at window height now and I don't like being watched. Too dark to read. Now I need lights in the daytime.

      Delete
  6. I read somewhere that there are places like that all over major cities in the us by the chinese..it's some sort of write off..they don't care if they are finished or if they are finished no one lives in them..sorry it's fucking with your sunshine..

    ReplyDelete