Monday, August 10, 2020

Monday Morning This and That

It's Monday after an uneventful weekend.  Seems they are all like this since Covid.  Not much to do here in the city.  We did go to my favorite spot by the water yesterday and was it ever hot.  Yikes!!!  The summer was slow to come, but now the heat is upon us. We're heading into the Dog Days of summer.  I remember when I was a little girl, we couldn't go to the lake for a swim because of polio fears.  (The vaccine wasn't out yet).  But our parents listened, and we all took it seriously.

Times are so different now, and far too many people feel their having a good time is more important than protecting their fellow man.  They are so fond of saying it is probably fake news, a hoax, or it's nothing more than a flu.    No one is going to take away my freedom. The old people should just stay in the house.  Oh, that one made me mad.  My reply to this one was, "Don't forget.  You are going to be old one day, too, and I pray they have no pandemic during your senior years. "I won't die from it," they say. Well, shame on you.  Maybe a parent or a grandparent will.  It's me, me, me.  It sickens me to no end how selfish people have become.  

Was singing a Christmas carol yesterday morning, and it hit me that I won't ever have my baby here for Christmas again.  I just couldn't stop the tears. I miss him so much.


My peaceful place.  I look forward to this each week. Spent Sunday afternoon here, then went to pick up my meds and do a little food shopping.  

Snapped this pic of hubby yesterday.  He doesn't even know I took it.  Too bad the face is so dark.

Well, I was able to start reading again this weekend.  Dug out an old book that I had really enjoyed when I first read it.   


This book is arranged in hours of the night, starting with 6 PM and ending at 5 AM.  Each chapter corresponds to an hour of the night and has its own theme.  Within each hour, there's a focus on one part of night, such as sunsets, mythology, astronomy, the graveyard shift. nocturnal creatures, sleep and dreams, nightclubs, festivals of the night, stars, children's view of night and bedtime stories.  Each section is informative and entertaining.  

I adore the night, the darkness, the quiet, watching as lights turn off in the residences around me.  It's always been my time.  When I had my garden, night was my favorite time to visit. It was an entirely different world, so silent, so serene.  Unfortunately though, as I grow older I'm not able to enjoy it as I once did.  Now I am ready for bed between 8 and 9 pm.  I've become what we used to call an old fogey.  Try as I might, my eyes just won't stay open.  I've tried afternoon naps, but my body rhythm still says hit the bed at a certain time.

'Acquainted With the Night' is also a poem by Robert Frost that was first published in 1927.  Thought it was quite appropriate for this post.
I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain—and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height,
One luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.


12 comments:

  1. Unfortunately it is a time of strife and worry for those of us who face the truth about covid-19 and fear it for the dreaded disease it is. I have never felt so stressed out in all my life.
    It is good to visit a special place that calms your thoughts for at least a little while.
    Never hold back those tears for your son. There is no way to be brave when you lose someone you love. They will be less frequent on their own someday but never fully gone.
    Take care dearest Mary.
    The book sounds very interesting.
    I did get my regular blog up and running and with comments. I think that my writing blog will remain without comments.
    Stay Safe My Friend 🌷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for letting me know. I love your blogs.

      Delete
    2. I am so sorry Mary but will not have a new blog after all. my heart just isn't in it.
      I will keep my writing blog.
      Hang in there and best wishes to you and your family and loved ones 🌷

      Delete
  2. When I see people defending their right to not wear a mask while a very contagious virus is sickening and killing people my the millions, it makes me ill. They wouldn’t go thru a red light but they think being told to wear a face covering to protect others from dying is an infringement of their rights. Where are these values coming from?

    It is so good to get out and being by the water is such a wonderful place to be. There is something about it that soothes the soul.

    Take care, dear Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate even watching the news. I get knots in my stomach. People have become so selfish.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great book. I like the Frost poem -- it's a new one to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying it as much this time as the first time I read it.

      Delete
  4. The me, me, me attitude is here too. Sadly. And, as the doctors and nurses now they are not as 'bullet proof' as they believe.
    The very early morning is my time and I will track this book down. Thank you - and for a Robert Frost poem I didn't know.
    I am very glad you were able to spend time by the water. Arleen is right, it DOES soothe the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now it is my happy place. My once a week time out.

      Delete
  5. I've always liked that poem. Found it more direct than many other of Frost's works. I haven't seen it in ages, so thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. people are just so fecking selfish..sigh*..I miss my ggs like an open sore...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your special place by the water looks very nice.
    I find water can be very soothing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete