Thursday, May 31, 2018

Throwback Thursday

Our pets are such an important part of our lives.  They are family, and we remember them forever when they pass over.  Susie was my first pet.  I was five years old when she joined our family.  I was twenty when we had to make the difficult decision to let her go. She had a brain tumor, and the night time scared her so much even when we left the light on for her.  She would howl all night.  I guess in her own way she was letting us know it was time.  I still find myself shedding tears for her.  I loved her so much.

Susie with me on Easter Sunday.  She had been hit by an oil truck when she was a year old.  The vet managed to save her, but had to take her leg.  She was never handicapped in any way.  Used to run and play like any other dog.
Susie greeting me when I get home from riding my bike.  It used to break my heart when the kids used to laugh at her because she had three legs.  Luckily, Susie never understood why they were laughing.
Susie was always ready to give you a smile.  All you had to do was her.  "Give me a smile, Susie", and she would grin from ear to ear.

Tiny was added  to our family a few years later. From day one she was a daddy's girl.  After dinner he would grab his 6 pack and head into his room with Tiny at his heels.  No one would see hide or hair of her for the rest of the night.

 Tiny with dad.
 Tiny on grandpa Edward's lap.
 Tiny and Susie with me. 
Tiny and Susie celebrating Christmas.  Gosh, I miss these babies so much.  

I've had so many pets throughout the years that it's impossible to honor all of them.  Some wee just passing through, but they all left their mark.  But the one who left their mark on my life as much as Susie is my Miss Minga.  Saved her and her siblings from an abusive owner when they were only a few weeks old.  Gave her siblings to good homes and kept Miss Minga .
 Baby Miss Minga
Miss Minga with her mom, Noodles.  Noodles was smart as a whip.  If I had been able to keep Noodles, I definitely would have, but she would come to visit, but then insist on going back home. Sadly she was hit by a car in front of our home.  I will never forget how Miss Minga sat in the window and stared out at her lifeless mother.  
Miss Minga was always at my feet.  I had little rug beds set up in all the areas whee I sat.  This was next to the chair at the dining room table where I sat.
Miss Minga waiting for me to sit in the rocking chair.
This was the last picture I took of her.  She had a stroke shortly thereafter, and I had to let her go.  Broke my heart, but I didn't want her to suffer.  She was 23 years old.

5 comments:

  1. Pets enrich our lives so much, don't they? I remember reading your stories about Miss Minga when I first started reading your blog years ago. She was a wonderful cat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. Tears here.
    Animals have enriched my life and left a HUGE hole when they left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AGREED! Whether or not someone has children, our fur babies ARE very much a part of our family and our lives forever. I made made provisions in my will to have my fur babies who have passed on buried along with me. I know of others who have also requested this. In fact, my father-in-law had his fur babies ashes in his casket with him. It is what he wanted. :)

    Thank you for sharing this. Your post was so touching, it made me tear up.

    Hugs and blessings to you, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, I also must tell you that my nana's very first miniature poodle's name was Susie. (short for Suzette though). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our fur babies are family! Thank you for such a beautiful post, filled with memories! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete