Thursday, May 3, 2018

Throwback Thursday

Memory is more than a dustbin of time, stuffed with yesterday's trash. Rather, memory is a glorious grab bag of the past from which one can at leisure pluck bittersweet experiences of times gone by and relive them. 

Hal Boyle
Now that spring weather is here, I can't help but think about days long ago when spring meant endless hours playing outdoors, spinning around with outstretched arms in the warm spring showers, setting up the tent and sleeping outdoors in my back yard, exploring the woods, etc.  So much comes back to me lately.  Don't know if it's like they say and one reminisces more with age, or if I was just never able to quiet my mind enough when I was working.  Whatever the reason, spring was always a special time for me, especially when it came to Thursday nights.  Oh, how I looked forward to them all week long.
 

I grew up in a small town where there was little in the way for families to do.  Oh, we had a drive in where we occasionally went and lots of countryside for picnics and lakes for swimming, but my family never really did much of anything together.  But, during the summer months, there was always one thing we did--we always went to Bertrand's Island on Thursday evenings. It was a magical little amusement part located at Lake Hopatcong, New Jersey, the largest natural lake in the United States. The rides were actually quite tame according to today's standards, but back in those days, this was the ultimate of fun. 



The old wooden roller coaster was rickety, shaky, and rattled just as much as the Cyclone at Coney Island.  When I was little, I couldn't get on it, but as a teenager, me and my friends rode this thing over and over again.  There were no long lines like there are at today's amusement parks.  We could ride it as much as we wanted.  It was the ultimate thrill for a 15 year old, but today?  You couldn't pay me to get on a roller coaster.
The Lost River was a fun ride.  A slow cruise through a darkened cave.  If I recall correctly, it was somewhat of a fun house, but not really very scary.   For many, it was the Tunnel of Love.  Didn't have a boyfriend during my teenage years so I never experienced that aspect of it.  It ended like this:

Two of my favorite rides--The Scrambler and The Whip.  Had to go on each of them a few times.  The Scrambler was usually the first ride of the night and the last ride of the night as it was near the entrance and exit.


The whip would go round about a few times until it finally swung us off and through the tunnel you see there. 

And there were the usual bumper cars, skee ball games, motorized go carts, cotton candy, hot dogs, ice cream, bumper cars, and the beautiful carousel.   I can still hear the music playing as I bent over reaching for the rings.  There were two ferris wheels and the smaller one was my first experience with a fear of heights.  


Another favorite ride.  The Moon Rocket.
My favorite ride, though, was the Astro Ride which swung far out over the lake.  



I cherish those Thursday evenings at the park.  It was one of the few time mom acted like my mom.  The park closed in 1983 after operating for 70 years,  and the site was developed into townhouses.  (Sigh)  I'd  moved to the city before then and wasn't around to see it close.  But, although may be physically gone, it will live forever in my heart. 







2 comments: