Tuesday, May 8, 2018

On Growing Old

 If I wanted to be prettier, fillers, Botox and a neck lift might help — but I think I’m past all that. My feelings come out in my face and show who I am inside in ways that words can’t express. In fact I’m confused by what ‘authentic’ is; am I less authentic because I wear ‘eccentric’ clothes and hats? No. I look at my contemporaries who have had ‘good work’ done; are they less authentic? No! And neither are the women who’ve had procedures that went awry.

Diane Keaton

After fighting against it for years, I finally accepted the aging process a few years back.  Now I am proud to tell people I am 71 years old. ..and I am blessed.   There are many who don't make it this far. I've also grown to love all the perks such as waking up on a stormy day and deciding I don't want to go out.  Oh, I could do that while I was working, of course, but I always had a guilt feeling when I called in sick.  I can go to bed when I want and get up when I want....although I still go to bed early and get up at the crack of dawn.  The important thing is that I DO have a choice.

On a FB group we were asked to show a picture and everyone would guess our age.  I showed this one. 
One person guessed me to be 54 and none could believe I was 71.  I've always been blessed to look younger than I actually was.  I was 26 when I first moved to New York and had to show ID to get a drink at a local pub.  The drinking age was 18.  Good genes.

I love the fact that I can now ride the trains and buses at half fare and get offered seats, I get 20 percent off whatever I buy at Walgreens on the first Tuesday of the month, Wellness Wednesday at Rite Aid geared just for senior citizens, discounts for my coffee, for movies, and even for dinner out at certain restaurants.  I do like the fact that I paid over $200 for health insurance while working and now pay $109 for just about the same benefits. The drawback is, however, that because my income is only half what I used to receive, I couldn't afford the physical therapy co-pay of $35 a visit.  On a plus side, though, this is the reason I decided to give Qigong a shot, and in doing so, I have discovered so many fun-filled free classes and made so many new friends. 

Yeah, so it takes me at least a half hour and a hot shower before I can stand up straight in the morning...and my knees and back take turns hurting.  Can't text anymore because it causes neck pain.  Even had to give up my Kindle for awhile, but on the plus side, that's forced me to start opening 'real' books again.   There is a silver lining in everything.

So, what is the purpose of this post?  To be honest, I don't know.  I really wanted to whine about being in pain, but as I began writing, it hit me that there is far more to be grateful about than not.  Pain I can live with.  Have for many years now. And it could be a lot worse.  I can still get around, and I can still dance and exercise.  Yesterday it was the Electric Slide, Cuban Shuffle, Waltz, Tango, and the Bachata.  Fifty years after I won a dance contest, I'm dancing again.  So grateful.
 Dancing with mom 54 years ago.

 Have a good one.






4 comments:

  1. I could not agree with you more, Mary ... and what a wonderfully inspiring post, too!

    I agree, you do NOT look your age and that in and of itself is a blessing in my opinion. LOL!

    Really love the pic of you and your mom dancing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep dancing. Always. In your heart if/when your legs refuse to come to the party.

    ReplyDelete