Wednesday, May 2, 2018

A Nightmarish End to the Month of April

What is so sweet and dear 
As a prosperous morn in May, 
The confident prime of the day, 
And the dauntless youth of the year, 
When nothing that asks for bliss, 
Asking aright, is denied, 
And half of the world a bridegroom is, 
And half of the world a bride? 

William Watson, Ode in May, 1880  

On this first full day of May as I wake up to sun rays streaming into my living room, I find myself forward to a brand new month and a breathing a sigh of relief.  The last few days of April are over, and it's a time to reflect and focus on the hope a new month brings. But, as I look back over the last three days of April and I find myself holding back the  tears.  Maybe I should just let them flow now and get it over with rather than have my eyes welling up on the bus or in class today like they did in the laundry.  It was just so hard to hold back.  

On Saturday, as you know, my 12 year old niece went missing.  My biggest fear was that she had been abducted.  It was two days of prayers, worries, and tears.  Thankfully, the police found her hanging out on the streets, and after being checked out at the hospital, she is home now.  Praying it doesn't happen again, but I see this little girl becoming more wild as she enters her teen years and high school.  I hope I am wrong.

Then, on Sunday, my daughter had been making a dish in the oven, and when she took it out and set it on the stove, the pyrex cookware exploded and food and glass shards shot all over the room.  She could have been badly hurt, but an angel was watching over her.

 

Then, later in the day, my daughter gave her little dog a rawhide bone, and he choked on it, almost dying.  Fortunately, she was able to reach down his throat and pull it out.

And finally, on Sunday,  the apartment next to my sons caught fire, and he and his roomies had to evacuate.  My son ran back in to save the cat.  They  lost everything, and are now being housed in a hotel. Windows are broken, rugs and furniture destroyed.  It will be weeks before they can return.   My heart is broken and I feel so helpless.  I wish I could house them here, but my small apartment is already cramped.  All I can do is wait to see what they need and send it to them.  Fortunately, the apartment owner has renter's insurance to cover furnishings and other losses.  


The fireman had to break through my son's apartment to get in. That's how his apartment got so messed up. Easier than running up the stairs inside.  You can see him on the top of fire escape.


I am so grateful that with everything that has happened everyone is fine.  No one has been injured.  It all could have so much worse.  Kitchens can be cleaned.  Material things can always be replaced. I am so blessed. Welcome May.  You are a sight to behold.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Mary, what a lot to go through in such a short time! I am sorry to hear all of this happened to you and your family and I am glad that everyone was okay!

    Yes, let us PRAY that May bring us all much better things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG what a weekend everyone had! Glad it all turned out well, without injury or worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 12.

    That is terrifying!

    Glad to hear she is back home and that everyone is safe after the fire.

    I came here from Elephant's Child's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a shocking few days. And what a lucky few days. Awful yes, but not tragic.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete