Sunday, May 27, 2018

Sunday Selections

I always consider Brooklyn the best of both worlds.  I'm close enough to the city to enjoy what it has to offer and still enjoy what I lost when I left the country life.  Brooklyn is beautiful.  There's no way around it.  Oh, yes, there are some real eye sore neighborhoods, but even they are changing as the millennials continue to flock to our borough and forever change it.  Gentrification has become a force to be reckoned with.  Mom and pop stores are being forced out and replaced with high priced establishments that cater to the new inhabitants.  Houses are being torn down and high rises built in their place. Land is at a premium. And rents? Forget about it.  Going through the roof. 

I'm really wanting to move, but affordable housing is so hard to find.  Housing is being built, but it's basically for those with a higher income than me.  And the price these owners are paying to build these high rise monstrosities which are destroying the Brooklyn skyline is to promise so many apartments to the lower income and elderly.  Well, offering 5 apartments in a building of 350 when there are thousands looking is not quite a fair deal if you ask me.  

But, for now, I am going to concentrate on the beauty before it is gone.   Took these pictures on the way to the park Friday.  Absolutely gorgeous area to live, and so far, one of the last holdouts.







5 comments:

  1. Love the photos! A similar thing is happening in Central Florida. There is a building boom happening that is using up all the greenspace, and the houses are huge and ridiculously expensive. It makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to believe that these pics are part of New York as I think of it. I know that there are many rural parts to NY but it is so easy to picture the city first for some reason. Nice scenery!

    I understand what you are saying about the changes. The school taxes are so out of hand in a poverty area/city in and around Reading, PA that many elderly (and younger folks who have lost their jobs due to lack of jobs here) have lost their homes! Very sad and very wrong to tie peoples homes to the greedy school taxes when there are other alternatives which other States find work just as well if not better. In turn, the rent goes up as well because of it ... *sigh*

    Anyway, I wish you a lovely Sunday, Mary! Oh, yes, you asked me about the candle scent. It smells just lie grapes! LOL! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know progress has to happen....but so much is lost with the 'new ways' sometimes! Yeah, I like the old architecture and the ma and pa stores! Fun pictures!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a truly beautiful area and I can see exactly why you cherish it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos! What a beautiful area! Where I live, they are taking the older homes down and building these huge ugly homes! Don't like it at all!

    ReplyDelete