Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Tuesday Ramble



I won't be hitting the new French bakery anymore, at least for anything creamy.  Two weeks ago I stopped and got a yummy croissant filled with strawberries and cream.  The next day my IBS was acting up.  I thought maybe the strawberries had not been fresh as I'd had no problems the first time I ate something from the bakery.  The, last Thursday as I passed by I got the urge for something creamy so I stopped in and bought a couple of twists filled with cream.  The next day I woke up with my IBS acting up even worse than the week before.  I went to bed on Friday doubled over in pain.

Then it occurred to me.  It MUST be something they put in the cream.  They list the calories on every item they sell, and I have to say, they are quite low for something as creamy as their pastries are.  They have to be using some kind of sweetener in the cream that is triggering my condition which has been in remission, aside from an occasional one day bout, for many years now.  So, no matter how good the pastries taste, I won't be eating them anymore. 

And, I have to watch the ice cream.  Sunday I was feeling so much better that I ate half a pint of Ben and Jerry's chocolate marshmallow ice cream.  By the time I went to bed I was doubled over even more than the day before.  Laid awake the entire night and ended up feeling too miserable for class.  I did call and offer to mail the ticket back, but the leader told me to hold onto it.  The party is two week's away and who knows how I will be feeling, even if I come out for just one day.  Felt good when she told me my friends have been asking for me. 

Actually, I ordered a beautiful red top to go over my black pants and a pair of dressier shoes.  I only have sneakers.  I am definitely going to make it to that party come hell or high water.  And I am going to make it to jewelry making class next Monday.  The clothes I bought will double for Christmas day family reunion.  Of course, I am definitely getting ahead of myself as nothing has been planned yet.
Fall is finally showing its beautiful colors here in Brooklyn. Took awhile, but the leaves they are a'changin.  Took this picture on Sunday while waiting for the bus.  Always looks more beautiful in person.  My next phone will definitely have a better camera.

Have a good one.

13 comments:

  1. Have you been told that you may be lactose intolerant? That might be the trigger for your IBS. I hope you are better and get to go to the party.

    We had one week of a beautiful fall but now with the wind and rain, most of the leaves are on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ice cream normally doesn't bother me, but this time my tummy was already out of sorts. Wind and rain is here as well. Good day to stay in.

      Delete
  2. Oh- I an so sorry that you have been feeling so miserable with your IBS. That is awful!!!
    Good for you for going to go to the party. We'll pray that you are feeling GREAT and going will be a joy rather than a chore. xoDiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling a lot better today. Spent yesterday sipping mint tea, ginger ale, and eating lightly no matter how hungry I felt.

      Delete
  3. Until my friend's daughter got IBS I had never heard of it. I feel for you. I agree with the poster above that you might be lactose intolerant. Hopefully you can get the pain under control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had it under control for many years now. Don't know what set it off, something in the food I ate, stress. Just have to give it time to heal before I try ice cream again.

      Delete
  4. Very sorry that you have been feeling unwell with your IBS … I'm no expert but I too wonder if you may be lactose intolerant?

    Sending my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a good feeling, for sure. I thought lactose intolerance, but I eat ice cream a lot with no issues. I have had issues with artificial sweeteners so that's why i wondered about those creamy pastries.

      Delete
    2. Hello again, yes I think artificial sweeteners can and do upset the gut and therefore cause problems with people who experience IBS. You may find this article of interest.

      https://www.thegutdigest.com/blog/2018/6/16/artificial-sweetener-bad-for-your-gut

      Hope you feel better soon.

      All the best Jan

      Delete
    3. Thanks for the article. Yes, very interesting. I discovered my sensitivity to artificial sweeteners awhile ago. I adore ice cream so thinking I would save on some WW I bought Skinny Cow. Every time I ate one of their pops, I was sick the next day. Gave that up and tried WW. Same thing. So I stay away from the low cal stuff.

      Delete
  5. Boo to losing out on being able to indulge in those pastries....however...in terms of watching your weight that might be a good thing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really low cal for the amount of cream involved. That should have been a clue.

      Delete
  6. Please take care of your tummy! I have the same issues! I have a list of things that I am allergic to and have to watch! And, I have to admit, over the past 2 days, I have been in pain too! I think for me, I was so hungry when I came home from work, that I ate too fast and ate too much!
    Make sure you go to the party! Your new outfit sounds beautiful! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete