Saturday, November 24, 2018

Saturday Thought



 Mom and me

Me and my daughter

My daughter and her daughters.  

Suddenly, through birthing a daughter, a woman finds herself face to face not only with an infant, a little girl, a woman-to-be, but also with her own unresolved conflicts from the past and her hopes and dreams for the future. Severing the umbilical cord to give a daughter breath joins a woman with generation after generation of women who came before… and this act of bodily separation connects each mother of a daughter with the next generation of women. As though experiencing an earthquake, mothers of daughters may find their lives shifted, their deep feelings unearthed… 

Elizabeth Debold, Marie C. Wilson, & Idelisse Malavé, Mother Daughter Revolution, 1993

7 comments:

  1. From a quote I remember, “A son is a son till he takes a wife but a daughter is a daughter all of her life.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I envy your collection of family photos.
    And love this thought provoking post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the words that you quoted so powerful and so true. Thank you for sharing--not only the quotation but the photographs of the line of daughters! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are some beautiful family photos and the quote is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photos and I love the words! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete