Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Thursday Odds and Ends

My little Irish Angel.  "May you always have a bit of luck, a bit of cheer, and a Guardian Angel always near". 
A beautiful gift from my daughter.
I took this picture from my classroom when I was attending classes at Brooklyn College.  The clock building/library was always one of my favorites. 
An interesting building in Manhattan. There lots of magnificent architectural masterpieces in the city.
That's my mom, me in the middle, and Uncle Colis in the front and two cousins in the back.  I used to be allowed to drive this boat and often spent the entire afternoon out on the water.
My fourth birthday party.
I did this for my hubby a few years back.  He is a great fan of Betty Boop.
My great grandmother Constance Mary.  What a wonderful smile she had!  And what a hard life.   My great great grandfather died when she was 3 months old so she never knew her dad.  Her mom, Harriet, remarried soon after, and they came to the states, settling in Rockaway, NJ.  She married my great granddad, Ralph Holmes, and had 5 children in quick sussess I regret that she never allowed to be a part of my life.  I know how much I would have loved her.  I still do even though we never met. Her firstborn died at age 10.  Her husband, Ralph, died at 38, leaving Constance Mary with her remaining 4 children and my dad and his twin when their mother didn't want them anymore.  She remarried in 1919 and had another son.  Her second husband died in 1938.  It was doubtful that she and Lyndon had never legally married as Lyndon's first wife, Amelia, was living in Greystone Psychiatric Center, and Lyndon's family completed cut her off from all of his  properties.
I took this selfie when I was sitting in the lobby waiting for the electricians to be done destroying my apartment.  Little did I know then that the painter/plasterer that they hired would do far more damage than the electricians and have longer lasting consequences. 

15 comments:

  1. Nice photo's! Love your Betty Boop artwork, it is very, very good! I will bet your hubby loved it lots.

    Lovely Irish Angel, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby has a doll (LOL), a key chain, and a dashboard Betty Boop. I get such a kick out of him.

      Delete
  2. Our forebears always had such hard lives, didn't they -- difficult to know how they coped with it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did. I doubt the widows married for love. They had a need to be taken care of financially.

      Delete
  3. Your great grandmother was a strong lady. Our lives are not so hard when we look at hers. I love your selfie! I was thinking about you yesterday when Louis Dean and I were in the gazebo having a glass of wine and listening to the rain. Keeping up with the house and all it’s quirks and repair is a job! I said something about those living in an apartment where the maintenance is done for them and then thought of y’all and what a mess the workers made! Instead of fixing something, they made it look even worse! I hope they have sent someone to do the job correctly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did leave me with quite a mess. I shed many a tear, but hopefully the end is in sight.

      Delete
  4. Betty Boop made me smile. The architecture of New York is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He just loves her. LOL!!! I got a kick out of it when he first told me.

      Delete
  5. I love your pictures...they make me smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, MaryFran. I love going through old pictures, old memories.

      Delete
  6. Love the pictures! What build is that? It looks like one of the many old churches in the city. I miss that. Going into the city and visiting the old churches like St. Patrick's and Trinity. There was another, but I was only there once and don't recall the name. I always wanted to go and look for the church my Grandma attended on the lower eastside, but never did. I have a huge bucket list if I ever get back to NYC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the church on the Lower East Side. St Marks. My ancestor, Peter Stuyvesant is buried in a vault there.

      Delete
  7. Thursday on a Wednesday is good :)
    Lovely to see your pictures here.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to mix up every once in awhile, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. I love the picture of you Mary! I'm so sorry with everything you have been going through with your place!
    That picture of little you, is so cute! That would have been amazing to drive that boat! Sorry about everything your Great Grandmother went through! Betty Boop is so cute! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete