Monday, October 29, 2018

Monday this and That

Good Monday morning everyone.  A little rain is on the way, but nothing like what we had on Saturday.  Boy did the sky open up.  Glad I didn't have anyplace to go.  No place I really have to be today either.  It's the 5th week of the month so there are no classes.  I guess they only pay for four weeks worth of classes, because any 5th class is canceled.  That's okay.  I have stuff to keep me busy. 

Results of Saturday's storm.  The wind and rain woke me at 4, and when I saw that hubby wasn't home yet, I got couldn't go back to sleep.  I worry about him driving in that kind of weather.  
Blew the makeshift fence over in the back yard.  The satellite dish had been standing up next to it.  That blew over as well.  In my building we can't have satellite dishes or anything else  on the roof, so if one wants cable they are pretty much limited.  Wonder if Cablevision had to pay them for sole access to our building.  (Of course, that's just my thoughts.  I doubt much that Cablevision would dish out money to this building.  They have plenty of money coming in.)

Did some shopping yesterday, and when I got up to the register I decided to have it delivered.  It would only have been two bags, but HEAVY bags, and I know now that I cannot carry things like I used to.  Delivery was free aside for a tip so why not take advantage of it.  And it arrived 15 minutes after I got home.  Didn't have to wait at all.  Of course, I know there are times I will have to wait, but that's okay. 

Felt like some hot soup yesterday so I made a huge pot of vegetable, lentil and bean soup. 

Peppers and onions
Carrots
Celery
Mix veggies
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can lentils (rinsed)
1 can cannellini beans (rinsed)
Spinach (I used frozen)
Sodium free chicken broth packets (I used 5...or was it 6.  Oh well, according to taste)
Harissa seasoning
Baharat spice
Garlic powder
Parsley flakes
Thyme
Garam Marsala
And of course water. 

I make up these recipes as I go.  Most work out, but some like last week's soup are a flop.  The seasoning was okay with the soup I made, but I used fresh kale, and I kind of think maybe all the grit wasn't rinsed off, (but I sure did wash it well) or one of the spices I used didn't dissolve and remained gritty. (I checked them out and found one mix that had sort of a crunchy pepper in it).  Needless to say, it wasn't harmful, but because of this, it wasn't appetizing to me. 

Hoping to get out and take care of banking today.  Bill time again.  Just never seem to get caught up.  Tomorrow afternoon I have a doctor's appointment.  My yearly check up.  Don't know if there is anything he can do for me.  I'm healthy as a horse but for this pain, and I am, at this point, totally refusing any pain medications they might prescribe.  I have sent for a back brace.  I remember back when I had slipped discs, the back brace really helped me, so I am hoping it will do it again.  Going to be a busy day for us medically.  Hubby has an appointment with his lung doctor, and I have a nurse coming in the morning and doctor's appointment in the afternoon.  We'll see how this goes.

Have a wonderful day.

7 comments:

  1. Enjoy your class free Monday! We can only have satellite dishes if they are NOT permanently mounted to the building....it is interesting to see how people figure out ways to have a dish on their balcony that is solid as a rock but not physically mounted to anything permanently!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel about worrying when the weather is very bad and loved ones are on the road. I am a wreck till I get the call that they are home safe.

    These are good soup making days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a worrier at heart. My family teases me about it all of the time :)
    But I just love my family so much that I want them all to be healthy and happy.
    Your soup looks delicious.
    Storms always remind us of the power that nature has.
    Hope that your pain eases or better yet...goes away completely.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with all the medical appointments.
    How I would love some rain. Some world wide weather moderation would be nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear that you're having pain my friend, I wish the best for you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your soup looks delicious …
    Do hope that your pain will ease.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. That soup looks so good Mary!! Yummy!
    I'm sorry about your pain and what your hubby is going through too! Wishing you both the best! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete