Friday, October 19, 2018

Friday Roundup

Good morning and happy Friday.  We come to the end of another trying week.  It's been crisp and cool here in Brooklyn.  My kind of weather.  Trying to get out every day a little just to enjoy it.  Not much I can really do right now, though.  Can't even walk as long as I used to.  Let's just say I really did a number on myself with all this lifting and moving stuff.  Sometimes I forget I'm 71 years old and just can't do the things I used to.  That's when I get into trouble.

Great news. They came by on Tuesday and filled in my holes. They did a fantastic job.  Had I had them from the beginning I never would have had to sit for 32 days with holes in my wall. And they filled them in none none too soon, either. My neighbor in the front apartment saw a mouse the other day. I expected that, though. She was the one where you could look right down into the basement. I think we got it in time. I'm hoping that if they did come in, they went back through the hole to their nest, and by the time they tried to come back, the hole was gone. No food for them in my house.  Ever since that problem several months ago everything is stored in mouse proof containers.   

Only thing to be done now is the overhead lights and the electronic fire alarms. Oh, and get the dust all out. I mop every day.  It's pretty much gone now. but that's because we put towel around the bottom edges of the door.  Dust problem will end once they finish the apartment across the hall, but it seems the people there are making it difficult on them---make them wait until late morning, move furniture back every night, things like that...so it's taking longer than expected.  I don't understand.  You know that it's going to be done anyway, so why not just let the guys do it and get it over with?  That's the way I think. 

Here is a before and after picture.
Made a WW meeting on Wednesday and on Thursday.  Same topic, but different views.  Also picked up a few tasty hints for enjoying foods that I'd hadn't had on my menu for awhile.  For example, I LOVE bacon, but it is so high in sodium.  One of my favorite breakfasts when I was working was bacon, egg, and cheese on a roll, but I haven't had it in 5 years.  So, I listened, got hungry, and after the meeting ran into the store for a jar of bacon bits.  For dinner I made a teaspoon full of bacon bits, 2 eggs, and some WW American cheese.  Had it on 2 slices of Pepperidge Farm lite whole wheat bread, and I was so satisfied.  Next up...grilled cheese and bacon.

Got some new storage stuff that fits right in with the decor.  These old pre-war buildings don't come with much storage space, and I'm tired of having things scattered about.   These baskets don't take up much space and hide things in plain sight.
 In these wicker baskets I put all my jewelry supplies.  Beads are on the bottom, threads and wires in the middle, and findings and tools on top.  No more searching all over for things.
In these wicker baskets I keep:  The bottom one holds my handheld vacuum.  The next one up holds my scarves.  The third one up holds my herbs and a few candles, and the top one holds all my wax melts.

Have a wonderful weekend.

8 comments:

  1. So glad you are finally getting fixed up right! Great idea for the storage bins, too! Sounds like something I would do as well.

    The bacon idea is wonderful. I love that food for breakfast (or anytime!) and I will have to try it! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those wicker storage baskets are a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so glad the work has been done in your apartment! And I love your storage system with the baskets! I use a lot of them, too. Getting out a little every day is really good for us although I dearly love a stretch where I don’t have to leave my house for days at a time. Doesn’t happen too often, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your storage baskets. And am so glad the work is (finally) done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like your storage baskets - great idea.
    So pleased to read that the work is finally done.

    Sending good wishes for the weekend to come.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love storage baskets that you can stack things in. I used to do it with vintage suitcases, too.
    The wall looks great and that is crazy that the people across the hall shuffle everything around and make them wait to get going in the morning...just plain dumb.

    I hope you have a great weekend. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hip hip hurray to the work finally getting done!!! Life can now return to normal!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad the holes are patched up! Please take care of you! Love the baskets!!! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete