Thursday, July 12, 2018

Throwback Thursday

For just a short while  I had a magical garden, and it truly was magical.  Everything grew to sizes unheard of.  Cucumbers that weighed well over two pounds.  Huge slicing tomatoes. I loved this garden  so much.  This was my favorite place to live.  The entrance to the apartment was down the stairs and to the rear.  The back yard  was surrounding by fencing and Morning Glories and was mine to do what I wanted with.  It was so private, so peaceful, and aside from the raccoons which scared the heck out of me at night, it was my heaven on earth.    And once I hosed the raccoons they got the message and allowed me to spend some quiet time in the stillness of night.
In the front part of the picture was my herb garden--mint, oregano, basil--then  tomato plants which were  followed by cabbage and kale.

My cucumber plant.  I think that is lettuce in front.
Everything grew in that garden.  One day I was sitting out there having a slice of watermelon, and I guess a pit must of dropped.  This is what became of it.  I then planted honeydew and cantaloupe.  We had fresh melons at the end of summer.
My eggplants
My sunflower grew at tall as the second floor of our house.
This was a spirit plant that my mother in law planted when we moved in.  She said it would keep the evil spirits away and bring us luck. Pepper plant in front. I had all kinds of peppers growing.  Not sure what the other plant is. 
The one beautiful flower in my garden.  I was more into growing veggies.
 Morning Glories covering the fence.
The apple tree.  It's kind of blurry but you can see the vast amount of apples that grew on it.  I also had a strawberry patch on the far side of the yard.

All together I grew 3 different kinds of lettuces, 4 kinds of peppers, eggplant, green cabbage, kale, mint, oregano, basil, lavender, cucumbers, tomatoes, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, and onions.  In the evening I would come home from work and pick a variety of veggies and juice them for hubby and I.  What natural form of energy it gave us.  

I was devastated when they sold the house, and we had to move.  I tried gardening in our new place, but it wasn't the same.  The hot sun beat down on everything all day long and nothing really grew.  There was no magic there. 

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your "magick garden" with us.
    It truly is a magical place to be...especially at night!
    I love "kitchen gardens"...they always make one's home feel more magical.
    This was a lovely post.
    I have never heard of a "spirit plant"...is that its name 🌹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother-in-law believed in a lot of the folk remedies from the Dominican Republic. They used the spirit plant there. I never did learn the name of it.

      Delete
  2. Holy moly, you had a regular veggie farm there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This truly was a magical garden! I have always been what you might call a "brown" thumb because hard as I try, I am not good at growing things - flowers or veggies. Although, it is funny that you mentioned your watermelon seed sprouting. I remember one time I found a watermelon seed actually sprouting down in my parents basement of all places! Very strange indeed.

    Have a wonderful Thursday, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your magical garden was WONDERFUL. It must have been so hard to leave it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful garden! I can understand why you miss it. That spirit plant looks like rue. I had that in my old cottage garden too.
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly magical, beautiful garden! It must have been very hard to leave it!!!

    ReplyDelete