Friday, July 6, 2018

Friday Roundup

Good morning.  The end of another week.  The end of a heat wave that has made it pretty miserable here in Brooklyn.  The heat feels even more oppressive when you are surrounded by concrete.  I especially worried about my hubby with his Stage 3 emphysema.  He was having a hard time of it.

I cancelled my Ancestry subscription on Tuesday.  It's been 9 years now, and I have gone as far as I am going to go.  I will still have access to my tree, but not be able to add to it.  I've already  given my daughter a copy of our family tree to be passed down.  The only reason I was keeping Ancestry was to see the 1950 census when it comes out in two years, but at $39 a month, that's a lot of money for two years of a site I rarely open anymore.  I can always rejoin in 2020 when it comes out.


Also cancelled my subscription for the Moon Box.  I was terribly disappointed this month and upon looking at it, there are much better boxes out there. In their place I took out a subscription for a 'Wild Medicine Box' which is filled with herbs, jewelry, crystals, and other useful items for healers and those like me who love Earth medicine.  The second subscription I ordered is for a 'Therabox' which is filled with self-care products to promote relaxation and reduce stress.  Will be sure to show you when they come in.

As far as my metrocard dilemma goes, no news yet, but I did find  out  that by showing my Medicare card at the subway station I can get a temporary half fare card. It's $2.75 and good for a return trip. Problem is I was told I can't buy more than one at a time....which I feel is ridiculous because he said I could buy another one when I reached my destination. Go figure. If I can buy a card at one station and buy another card at another station, why not both at once?  Well, it is what it is, and I have to make the best of it.  So I am thinking positive, so as I trudged the 4 blocks to the subway station in the heat and humidity yesterday, I kept in mind that it was a good way to get my exercise walks in.

Well, I gained 1.8 pounds, but I still stayed within the 2+ and 2- that we are alloted in the maintenance stage.  Must be very careful this month.  .6 gain and I go over.  Speaking of Weight Watchers... 

...they are coming out with boxed meals much like Blue Apron only with WW friendly foods which are healthy for you. So, I was spending some time on surveys (already making money for Christmas), and I just completed one asking my opinions on certain health products and sites like FitBit, My Fitness Pal, and Weight Watchers. Well, guess what, it must be a survey for WW because after I was finished I not only received my points but will be receiving one of their food boxes to test. Cannot say anything further about it though.

So that was the week that was. Happy weekend.

16 comments:

  1. Your ancestry book is a wonderful idea for future generations to reference and learn about. I need to get serious about doing that for my cousins kids since I (nor my brother) have any children. It is still a nice and good thing to have or the family.

    Enjoy your cooler weekend. Ours as you know was a pretty brutal week here as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ancestry offered a free couple weeks years ago and once I found my great great grandmother I was hooked.

      Delete
  2. Good idea to cancel those subscriptions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a waste of money. What garbage I got in the Moonbox this month.

      Delete
  3. I think you have made some wise decisions about what to keep and what to give up..even if only temporarily!

    The weight gain could be water retention due to the heat!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't think of that. You are probably right.

      Delete
  4. I can't believe how much the fare is! I think the last time I rode (over 15 years ago!) it was $2.00? Sounds about right anyway. I haven't had Ancestry in years. I get so annoyed when they say you can look at something that is supposed to be "free" and then they ask for a subscription. I only have the free account. I thought that allows you to add/create your tree, you just can't link or view matches. Even when I might be able to afford a sub to them again, I don't know if I would even want it since they don't have much on Polish and Ukrainian records.
    Hope you stay cool. Sorry to hear that hubby is having such a tough time with the heat. Beloved has asthma and yesterday was really getting to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Full fare is $2.75. I get half price as senior citizen but I am waiting for a new card. The lady clerk in the subway station destroyed mine by somehow punching in wrong numbers.

      Delete
  5. I toy with the idea of re-joining Weight Watchers almost every month, but can't stomach the price of membership. I wonder how much it will cost to add those box meals to it? Anyway, I hope you eventually get to share your review of the meal with us. I'm very intrigued. This is the first I've heard of them doing those kinds of meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The meals are new. Not out on the market yet. WW has now changed its branding. No longer a weight program, they now list themselves as a wellness program. Making all their snacks and foods healthier by taking all artificial stuff out of it.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you have made some really positive decisions. I am glad someone else said 'fluid retention'. I was thinking the same.
    I hope you get some cool relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just couldn't imagine gaining that much when I was eating mostly salads and veggies....and a few ice creams.

      Delete
  7. I wanted to let you know I have an ancestry subscription and I'd be happy to look something up for you if you need. Just shoot me an email. :-)
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. I let it go because I've gone as far as I can, nothing but brick walls now, and I only open it about once or twice a month if that. I do want to re-open my account specifically for the 1950 census in two years. Will be able to learn lots from that and maybe even find some grammar school friends.

      Delete
  8. Good for you cancelling those subscriptions! That's alot of money! I hope it cools down for you soon! I know for us, it has cooled a little, but this weekend, high heat again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are wrong on your facts. There is a 72 year privacy period for U.S. Censuses. The 1940 census became public in April of 2012. The 1950 census is scheduled to become public on April 1st, 2022. I know, I and Steve Morse and our volunteers have already prepared tools to find people for the 1950 census and it's available now at Stevemorse.org on our Unified Tool... choose 1950.
    Joel Weintraub
    Dana Point, CA

    ReplyDelete