Monday, July 23, 2018

Monday This and That

Another week begins.  Are you ready?  Today I head out to class.  Too bad it's a rainy day.  Hot, humid, and wet.  It's my last Monday classes until September so I really don't want to stay home, but we'll see how the weather is when the time comes.  It's hard for me to carry an umbrella as my fingers lock around it.  They do open, yes, but it's not a nice feeling.  Darn arthritic fingers. 

I'm sure going to miss my classes.  I figure that during August break I will attend an extra WW meeting on Wednesday to have a place to go. It certainly won't hurt. Maybe something else will come up.  Been looking online for places to go.  I'm hesitant to go back to a senior center.  I am not into bingo and cards.  I want to do something. Can't spend all my time in the park.  Those benches are definitely not back friendly.  

Speaking about my back, it  is not getting any better; in fact, it is not only worse, but now my whole body aches. I'm not sure whether the exercise is too much on me or if this is just an unexpected deterioration, but I'll see if there is any kind of improvement when I don't do it in August.  If there is, then I know.  I do plan on continuing with meditation, arts and crafts and will be learning loom knitting when classes open in September, and if any good courses are offered this fall semester, I will return to Brooklyn College.  

We had some big storm Saturday night into Sunday.  Lots of rain, lightning, thunder  and wind.  
 This is what I found in front of our building when I left the house Sunday morning.

On Friday I posted a salad I made, and several of you have never had jicama.  Here is what it looks like.
It's a Mexican root vegetable that is mostly eaten raw and seasoned with lemon or lime juice and chili powder.  They consider it a super food, but I don't like the taste which is hard to describe. It is crispy and juicy like a firm pear, but it tastes sweet and starchy like an apple, but not quite like an apple.

Sometimes Blogger messes up with comments, and sometimes they go into spam.  For this I apologize.  I wish I didn't have to moderate, and for the first few years I didn't, but then I discovered that by not moderating, I open myself up for harassment.  It was about 6 years ago, just after Easter Sunday.  I had made a totally innocent post about how back when I was growing up we always dressed from head to toe on Easter Sunday.  My mom even got me new socks and shoes.



So, I posted that I was surprised to see that this was no longer the custom, that people had attended Easter service in jeans, that at the most 3 or 4 people dressed up.  Innocent enough, right?  Not to one woman.  She told me that I should be so focused on how I dressed for church.  I should focus more on what's in my heart.  She went on to call me a sinner and say that she would pray for me.  My response was to tell her that taking the time to dress appropriately for church is a way to show respect.  Her response was that she felt sorry for me and would continue praying for me until I found Jesus again and went on and on and on.  I decided there was no use in arguing and not only deleted her messages and marked her as spam, but also decided it was time to moderate.  

Have a good one.


11 comments:

  1. People are so stupid! I learned early on that I needed to have thick skin if I was posting on my blog. Someone would always have an opinion!!!

    And yes...I have problems sometimes seeing how people go to church nowadays! I was raised you dress to honor God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That woman kept at me every day so finally I said 'enough is enough'. You should see the garbage I put up with on my other blog. Some of the things said was shameful.

      Delete
  2. I think it's wonderful that you enjoy keeping yourself busy as much as you can.
    I am not a card player but I do enjoy Bingo :)
    "IF" someone wants to pray for me I don't mind...but don't preach to me unless you are without sin yourself.
    My generation was brought up to "dress" for church. Now it seems many religions aren't so strict about a dress code. Dress code or not is freedom of choice these days.
    Personally I feel closer to God when I am outside either in my woods or sitting on my bench swing under our pine trees. It's a personal choice as it should be. I do not need golden altars, vaulted ceilings and stained glass windows. I can speak to God in nature's cathedral and feel closer to him and more at peace

    Love your retro photos...wonderful~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I could not agree with you MORE on that! Take care!

      Delete
    2. My brother and I were raised Lutheran and attended church dressed up every Sunday. My mom felt it necessary to expose us to a church atmosphere, but allowed us to decide for ourselves once we reached a certain age. When I stopped going at age 14, she stopped going as well. To this day, she ALWAYS says that she is a Christian BUT does not feel she NEEDS to attend a church in order to worship God. She feels it in her heart and that is all that matters. Just a personal choice is all.

      Delete
    3. I'm not a Catholic, but I attend the Catholic church in my area because I just love the ritual involved. They say the Catholic Church took many of its practices from the pagans--the saints were the gods and goddesses, Mary the Mother Goddess, the candles, the incense, the Holy Water, etc.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I too moderate when at one time during blogging I did not. Got sick and tired of the crackpots, bible thumpers and idiots who thought they had the right to use my blog as their forum to advertise their lame (and most probably rip-off) products. RUDE to say the very least. But I suppose that is our technology these days among other things.

    We also had a big storm which began late afternoon and through the morning. Some folks lost their power which is why many now own generators around our area now.

    Try to stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to rain all week here. May just be a week that I stay in. It's hard for me to carry an umbrella as my fingers lock. I think I hold it too tight.

      Delete
  4. Perhaps it is the weather impacting on your back? I hope you do find somewhere else to go/something else to do when class is out.
    I don't moderate, but have been very lucky with my visitors. A little spam which I delete and no trolls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your back gets better!
    People are ding dongs! Seriously! Don't tell me what to do! This is your blog! At Easter time, mom always bought one new outfit for us. I loved that treat!
    Thanks for explaining about jicama!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete