Monday, July 16, 2018

Monday Morning This and That

Good Monday morning everyone.  How was your weekend?  I had a quiet one.  Hung out in the house on Saturday and went to church on Sunday, then, after a stop at the supermarket, right back home to prepare for the coming week.  Today I'm off to line dance, meditation, and arts and crafts. It's going to be a hot and humid day today.  Just going to take it slow on the walk when I get off the bus.

Was going to stay in on Friday, but when I heard how nice it was I knew I needed a walk.  I don't like the park in my area and am still waiting for my new half fare card, so I decided to take a nice long walk to Rite Aid.  Good thing I did.  They were having some fantastic sales.  
Got all of the above for $28.  The candles--Vanilla Cream, Lilac and Lily, Tangerine Burst, and Ocean Mist--smell fantastic.  We'll see how they are when I light them.  Sometimes the scent seems to disappear when they start burning.  That's why I like 'Yankee Candle' and 'Our Own Candle Company' so much.    Their scent remains right to the last drop.  Oh, and the Breyer's Ice Cream in front.  It's awesome and also hard to find.  Only 270 calories for the whole pint, but I usually have half at a time.  It's so creamy, totally delicious, and WW friendly so I don't feel guilty when I treat myself. And that tea?  It's delicious.  I put it in the freezer to get it real cold.  Great on a hot day like this.

Great news.  I got my new half fare card on Saturday.  The MTA said my original card had not been permanently damaged, that it had only malfunctioned.  Yeah, right.  Thanks to someone who didn't know what they were doing.  They gave me a new one anyway.

The other day I posted a picture on Facebook of an old man gazing into a mirror and a young man staring back at him. The caption read, "The sad part of getting older is that no one can see you're still young on the inside".  How true it is!  Before retiring, I was a entire generation older than everyone else and felt so out of place when I was excluded from some of the activities the other staff participated in together.  I know they didn't intentionally plan to hurt me, but it does hurt when you are made to feel like an outsider.  Like the time one of my co-workers was having something like a tupperware party, only it was to sell sex toys, and I was not invited because they 'respected' me and would be embarrassed.   In other words, they thought of me as their mother.  I most likely would not have gone, but it would have been nice to have been given the choice.  Did they not think it would hurt me to have them all whispering and making plans around me? 

Hubby doesn't work on Sunday nights so I always try to make something special.  Sunday dinner was always important when I was growing up and old habits die hard.  Last night I made Iberian Sausage and Chicken.

2 links of chorizo, sliced
Chicken thighs
1/2 cup white cooking wine 
Onions
Tomato sauce
Smoked paprika
Garlic powder
1 pkg low sodium chicken buillion
1 package Goya Con Azafran
Salt and pepper 
1/2 cup water
Olive oil

Brown chicken in oil.  Add sausage and onions. Saute. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Bring to boil then simmer to allow chicken to cook through and flavors to blend.  You can serve over pasta or rice.  We had pasta during the week so we had it over rice.  With a nice salad on the side.  Quite satisfying.

Well, I'm off to the shower.  Have my classes today.  Only two more weeks to go before August break.  Gosh, will have to find ways to amuse myself, but on the positive side, maybe that will give my back time to heal .  

Have a good one.

17 comments:

  1. Glad you've got the half-price fare card fixed up again! And hey, speaking of sex toy parties, do you know what the slang term for them is? "Fuckerware parties!" LOL! I've been to a few myself over the years. (You didn't miss much. Most of the stuff tends to be cheaply made and super expensive. The fun is in all the joking around that occurs while the women are looking at the merchandise).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have gone to the party. First of all, I don't like traveling to the Bronx. It's a long trip from Brooklyn. I just wish they asked.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean about not being included. Lately, I have been left out of the loop by my family. They don’t tell me things because they think it will upset me and that I am too emotional and fragile. I may be one but not the other and it hurts to be put in the corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went through that with family this weekend. On Sunday there was a post on FB from my daughter. It was a picture of her and my son. I don't get out there often because I don't drive so I would have loved to have gone. But no one even mentioned it to me. It hurt.

      Delete
  3. YAY! for half-fare card being fixed!!! Do they not except you showing a medicare card anymore? I remember that's all my Grandma had to do. Your dinner dish look amazing! Going to jot down the recipe and give it a try one of these days. Just need the meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do accept a medicare card, but it's also hard to get change around here and I used up all I had been saving. I'm a block from Brooklyn's Chinatown and they don't understand me. So I had to walk 4 blocks to the subway station to get a daily half fare card. They won't give any more than one so I had to go every day.

      Delete
  4. Great deals at Rite Aid. I LOVE Breyers ice cream and I MUST look for this in our local stores here! YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to try that ice cream but it is hard to find. I only found it in Rite Aid.

      Delete
  5. I am very glad you got your half-price card back. That looks like an excellent shopping haul.
    We have all felt like outsiders from time to time. Not nice at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy to have it, especially in this heat. I don't have to walk 4 blocks to buy one every day.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Comet? Forgive me. Just got in and this unbearable heat has done me in.

      Delete
    2. I see what you meant. Your comment. Actually I wasn't home all day to post them. I had my phone but I have a hard time with it so I wait until I get home. I used to just allow comments to immediately post until I started being victimized by a born again who kept posting that I was a sinner. Was forced to moderate then.

      Delete
    3. So sorry, typo (comment) LOL!!! No problem, thanks Mary! ;)

      Delete
  7. Great shopping spree!!! Good for you!!!
    Wonderful news! You finally received your half price fare card!!!
    You recipe looks delicious and sounds yummy. I must try this some day...thank you!
    BTW... I love Yankee candle, too! Sage was my favorite scent.
    Don't feel to bad about the girls at work. The generation gap is still going strong! I must admit that I would have turned down the invite to that "Tupperware Party" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have turned it down, definitely. Not my cup of tea, but just ask and don't be whispering around me. I think it was the whispering that hurt the most.

      Delete
  8. I'm so happy you got your half price fare card!! Excellent!! Yes, I do think you should have been invited!!! Not nice! Who cares how old you are?? Doesn't make sense! Great deals you got! Thanks for the recipe! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete