Saturday, July 7, 2018

Saturday Thought of the Day



The man who has planted a garden feels that he has done something for the good of the world.... It is a pleasure to eat of the fruit of one's toil, if it be nothing more than a head of lettuce or an ear of corn. One cultivates a lawn even with great satisfaction; for there is nothing more beautiful than grass and turf in our latitude.... the world without turf is a dreary desert.... To dig in the mellow soil... is a great thing. One gets strength out of the ground.... There is life in the ground; it goes into the seeds; and it also, when it is stirred up, goes into the man who stirs it. The hot sun on his back as he bends to shovel and hoe, or contemplatively rakes the warm and fragrant loam, is better than much medicine. 

Charles Dudley Warner
 My Summer in a Garden, 1870

10 comments:

  1. Very true indeed ... healthy for both mind and body!

    Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me feel like getting out there and doing my yard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing that picture makes me miss my garden so much. Always this time of year.

      Delete
  3. A great post and so true!
    Hi! I'm Jan and I have seen you comment on Kim's Blog and I finally dropped by here and on your blog. I am happy to be a new follower on both~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. Heading on over to check out yours.

      Delete