Friday, July 20, 2018

Friday Roundup

Happy Friday.  Another week bites the dust.  The humidity has let up some and it's far more comfortable.  On Wednesday I got all dressed and headed out to class, but the walk to the bus stop was torture.  Wasn't a part of my body that hurt, so I decided not to push it like I always do and turned back around and went home. The best decision on my part.  I really, really wanted to attend since next week is the last week for a month, but we have to put our wellness first.   And the cards agreed.

I recently got my Carolyn Myss 'Wisdom for Healing' cards and my plans are to draw one card daily and focus on that area of health for the day.  And so it was on Wednesday that I drew the following card.  What one positive action could I take to enhance my physical health?  I didn't think of it until later, but coming back home and not pushing myself to do something I wasn't up to was exactly the action I had to take for that day.  


The other night I was thinking about explosions before I fell asleep.  Don't have any idea why.  I was just worried about one.  Then, about 4 am in the morning I was awoken by a loud boom.  Thought it was gunfire at first, then I thought exploding manhole cover, but before the next boom I heard the familiar "woosh" beforehand, and then I realized I was hearing fireworks.  Probably bottle rockets, but loud enough to have been Cherry Bombs.  Very disturbing to say the least.

On Wednesday, my daughter celebrated her 51st birthday.  It seems like only yesterday that she was born.  I remember her birth so well.  They had given me something called 'Twilight Sleep'  a  combination of morphine and scopolamine (pretty much a date-rape drug), which was supposed to make women not able to remember the pain of birth, but as an added side effect, women were unable to remember giving birth at all.  And while it worked to make me forget those things, I still remember the events that occurred while I was in labor.  Side effects of the drug were delirium and psychotic behavior.

I recall that they gave me the medication explaining to me that I would feel the pain, but forget afterwards. Then the nurses and doctor left after putting the bars up in the bed.  I remember at first feeling so frightened.  My mom had never talked to me about female things.  I had to learn everything by myself, and birth was another one of those mysteries to me.  Then, the medication began kicking in.  I climbed over the bars and ran to the room across the hall.  No one was there.  I went into the bathroom, shut the door, and sat on the floor laughing my butt off as I heard the nurses looking frantically for me.  I don't know how long I sat there, but it was quite awhile...and I was having so much fun that I don't even remember feeling labor pains.  I guess that's how the medicine was supposed to work....aside from missing patients. 

Just didn't feel like eating anything heavy last night so I dug out some of my WW weeklies and found this little salad.   Boneless chicken, pineapple, jicama, red bell pepper, scallions, cilantro, cumin, and lime juice.  The salad itself was delicious, but I have to say, I am really NOT a fan of jicama.  Will never buy it again.


11 comments:

  1. Those oracle cards look great! I've never had jicama -- don't even know what it is, quite frankly. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these oracle cards and try to work with them every day. I realize that a lot of people don't know what jicama is so I'll post on it.

      Delete
  2. You probably made the best decision to head back home. WE do need activity but not when we are in pain and uncomfortable.
    I have four children and even though I remember that I had pain, time has erased how much there was :)
    Waking up to explosive sounds in this day and age is much scarier than before our world became so full of terror.
    The salad looks delicious but I have never heard of jicama.

    Have a great day~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to face the fact that I really can't do what I used to...for the time being at least. Maybe when I go back after August break I'll feel better.

      Delete
  3. I had to ask Google about jicama. I don't think I have ever seen it here.
    Hooray for making positive decisions for ourselves. And walking away without guilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was telling hubby today that I have to face the fact that I may not be able to participate in dance and exercise anymore. My back is only getting worse from it.

      Delete
  4. It is good to listen to your body, it knows what it is talking about.

    Wow, that was some medicine they gave you. For my first two children they gave some medicine that was suppose to relax me (can’t think of name) but it didn’t work. I got dizzy and nauseous. For my third child, they gave me a block, but it was given to me too late. It took almost a day for me to get the feeling back in my legs. When I had my fourth, I told them I wasnted to do it naturally. It was my easiest birth. Fourth children tend to slide out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twilight Sleep was outlawed in the late 60's shortly after I gave birth to my daughter.

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh! I have never heard of such a thing! I am 54 years old and my mom never said that she was given any meds like that! In fact, she has told me she does remember the pain but as Jan said she forgot most of that part thankfully. :)

    Your new cards look very interesting and accurate it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m so happy to hear about (and experience) the relief from the humidity! This summer weather is kicking my tail end!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those cards!
    Happy Birthday to your daughter! Those were some meds! Wow!
    Jicama? Never heard of that before?
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete