Friday, July 27, 2018

Friday Roundup

Good morning all, and a happy end to the week. Funny, how I have now been retired for almost 5 years, and I still look forward to Fridays.  Nothing special happens over the weekend.  When you retire every day is a weekend day.  Guess it is just an ingrained habit.  Have to run out today and get a few things for the weekend.  Tomorrow night my goddaughter is picking me up, and we're going to meet up with the family at Sunset Cove for the Christmas in July festival.  So looking forward to it. 

Our Christmas is delayed again, though.  My son's car needs work and will not make it that distance, and my goddaughter was just in a 5 car pile up on the Verrazano Bridge.  Thank God she is okay. No injuries.  Could have much been worse.  Cars can be replaced but lives can't. The car is not up to a trip to Pennsylvania right now.  (Sigh)  Seems Christmas 2017 is not meant to be.  It's been one thing after another since Christmas Eve.   Well, if we don't manage to have our family Christmas,  it will definitely save me money on Christmas 2018 since gifts will already be made and bought. That's the positive about it.

Stayed home yesterday.  The weather was so nasty.  It's been one of those humid weeks with storms popping up every day.  Yesterday was the worst.  Truthfully, though, I don't think I would have gone to class even if the sun was shining.  I participated in dance on Monday, and the pain in my knees and back woke me before dawn.  The back I am used to, but me knees?  It was a burning pain just under the knee, and upon doing some research, I discovered it's probably tendonitis.  Put my knee braces on and rested yesterday.  Now with a month off, I will finally have time to heal...if that's what it is.  At any rate, I see my doctor this month and will talk to him about it.
I'm a snacker.  Can't help it, but it's really hard to find totally good and healthy snacks which are soy free aside from fruit, and I can only eat so much of it.  What happens is when I eat the same things over and over again I get bored so I decided to try the Graze box and see what it's all about.  Yummy treats are delivered every two weeks.  Not totally WW friendly, but each snack package says it is for one serving, but I can easily get two out of it. My first box included some really awesome goodies:

White chocolate with wild blueberry toasts--wild blueberry toasts with a creamy white chocolate dip

The cheeseboard--cheese flavored cashews and almonds, cheddar cheese bruschetta and gouda puffs 


Cinnamon banana energizer--chewy banana coins, honey cinnamon almonds, raisins and pecans

Sweet and spicy beet crunch--dried,not fried beet chips, pure sunflower seeds and jalapeno chickpeas

Anytime energizer-- dried sour cherries, soft dried pear slices and California walnuts. 

Vitamin E defense--roasted hazelnuts, redskin peanuts, jumbo raisins and cranberries 

Sweet rhubarb jam  rhubarb, soft apple pieces and cranberries

Yesterday I made my WW meeting.  No weigh in.  That will come next week and keeping my fingers crossed.  I've been out of control, and I know it.  If I have to pay next week, it's all on me, and my lack of willpower.  Had a great meeting about self-esteem and how so many of us always put others first and feel guilty when we take any time to do something for ourselves.   At one point, a member's phone rang, and it was the Golden Girls song so they were added as a topic to our conversation as role models.  Each has their own personality, their own likes, each knows what they want and goes for it.  In other words, they take care of themselves.  All of us need me-time, and we all deserve it.

Have a wonderful fun-filled weekend.







9 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that your Christmas family gathering will be delayed once again. Hopefully soon!

    Those snacks sound delicious, too! Makes me hungry just thinking about it! lol

    You are quite right about feeling guilty ... but I agree, we all deserve "me time."

    Be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With my hubby having COPD I feel all the more guilty when I take time for myself....even though he insists.

      Delete
  2. So sad that your Christmas will be delayed but great news that your Goddaughter wasn't injured or any others.
    Those snacks sounded pretty good. Never begrudge yourself a treat now and then...in moderation of course :) It helps you to keep trying to be good on WW.
    I loved the Golden Girls!!!

    Have a beautiful day 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be the third time it was canceled. What's the old saying? "Three Strikes Your Out". Right about now I'm set to focus on Christmas 2018.

      Delete
  3. I am so sorry that your Christmas celebrations have been delayed again.
    And agree wholeheartedly about the lack of self care/me time. We were brought up to believe that thinking about ourself was selfish - which is wrong.
    I hope your weekend is lovely and your pain reduces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right That was what we were taught to believe, and as adult I've spent most of my life caretaking in one way or another. Even in my job I was a caretaker--substance abuse counselor. When I called in sick I used to feel guilty and even went to work sick at times because I knew my clients were counting on me.

      Delete
  4. I like my snacks also. I make sure that I reward myself twice a day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way!!! I’m going to start referring to your Christmas ad..the Christmas that never was!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry about your Christmas in July being canceled again. I'm so happy that your god-daughter is ok!!
    Those snacks look so good!!! Don't worry about your weight! You will do good!! Don't beat yourself up!
    Take it easy on your knees!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete