Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Tuesday Ramble

Good Tuesday morning.  Had a nice day yesterday.  We didn't have a leader for our Wellness group so we made up our own.  We talked about retirement and how we settled into it.  Were we ready for it?  Or were we forced out?  I was a little bit of both.  I was definitely ready for it, but I also believe that things were made difficult on me to make me want to leave.  Like the time I gave my boss 12 treatment plans that I spent hours on, and she claimed she never got them, and because she didn't find them, I must have done them.  Then, after I reprinted everything, she found the first ones I had turned in.  Little things like that.  I was getting too old, and I was standing up for my rights.  That's the truth of what happened.

NYC Emergency Management then came to talk to us about the importance of having a 'go bag' that you can pick up and leave with if you have to evacuate.  He discussed things we would need to have in the bag.  Hate to admit it, but I am totally unprepared for an emergency.  Going to start preparing my 'go bag' this week as one never knows. 

Things to include are: copies of important papers, extra car keys, copies of prescription medications, soap, baby wipes, light sticks, toothbrush, toothpaste, flashlight, batteries, small AM/FM portable radio, plan where to meet if separated, cash in small bills, roll of toilet paper in case you have to go into a shelter, small first aid kit, and extra pair of glasses. It's also important to have a whistle on your key chain.

Lunch was chicken, egg noodles, and spinach.  Afterwards we had Food for Life.  




Made healthy turnovers. Two are sweet potato and the other is apple.  They don't look the best, but they sure are delicious.

Here are some of the earrings I made over the weekend. 





Wednesday is the last day of the intern who runs our Holistic Medicine class.  Since she loves meditation, I am giving her one of these lotus earrings as a parting gift.  I will miss her.



It's good to have these all on hand.  Not only for Christmas, but for little gifts throughout the year.  Nothing like a homemade gift to say "I appreciate you".

Have a good one.

20 comments:

  1. Happy Tuesday Wishes.

    I think the 'go bag' sounds a good idea.
    Love your jewellery pieces.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Definitely a good idea. Have to get a small backpack like he said and start getting it together.

      Delete
  2. The "Go Bag" is a great idea...thank you Mary.
    Nice that you all made your own meeting.
    I knew that your jewelry would look fantastic and you sure didn't disappoint me :)
    Have a beautiful day Mary 🌞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. They had fire not too far from me a couple weeks ago. 200 people have been left homeless. That really makes you think.

      Delete
  3. We have had much of that here as well. My mom was driven out from her job of 30-some years and they made it so unbearable for her to continue working there that she had to take an early retirement ... there should be some kind of laws against it - that and age discrimination which is also VERY bad here!

    Your jewelry is absolutely stunning! They will make wonderful gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they should. I'll never forget the day my clinical supervisor called me in to the office and actually suggested that maybe it was time to retire.

      Delete
  4. Love your earrings (something I am seriously addicted to).
    You didn't have a Wellness leader again? Great that you made your own meeting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never know when we are going to have a leader. I mean, why start a group on Monday if you are never there?

      Delete
  5. yours earrings look great....I love the last photo.
    Have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I enjoy making them. Keeps me busy.

      Delete
  6. I would totally not be prepared should there be a need for evacuation either. Lol. Maybe I should think about that. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky during Sandy. Sunset Park is pretty hilly area and I am above flood level, but other things can happen. Time to get prepared.

      Delete
  7. The snowflake earrings are so pretty! I make jewelry too, and now I hardly ever buy jewelry because I end up thinking "I can make that!" Living in Florida, we have to stay ready for evacuation during hurricane season. Which reminds me: I need to shop for a generator!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling. I don't buy anything anymore. You definitely need to be prepared. I don't know how you handle it.

      Delete
  8. Oh corporate world!! This September is 24 years. I'm currently at bottom of wave where i am not happy with my job. It does come in waves so i'm praying i'll not feel this way for much longer soon.
    I love those moon and lotus earrings!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a long time with one company. I hope you do feel better about your job soon. It's no fun going to work when you are dreading it.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful jewelry! I have heard of that kind of stuff being called a bug out bag or an oh shit bag. The most I have is a diaper bag that stays in the car. Lol. I will gather important stuff hurricane season though since you just dont know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't started, but hope to get things together soon. Thanks for the compliment.

      Delete