Monday, April 22, 2019

Monday Morning This and That

Good Monday morning.

On Friday the center was closed for Good Friday.  On Thursday night I had made a list of items needed to make myself some healthy and low point food for this week.  Then on Friday I headed to the fruit stand.  



The first thing I made on Friday was a Mexican and Summer Vegetable Soup from my WW Fresh Mex cookbook. I changed it a bit though. I don't like zucchini so I use mixed vegetables instead. Now just have to cut up an avocado to put in it when I serve it.

My son and I were supposed to drive out to PA for Easter dinner with the family on Saturday, but the weather was so bad, and my son doesn't have the greatest car, so we decided to put it off for another time.  The ride is scary enough without rain beating down on us.  And coming home when it's dark?  Forget about it.

So on Saturday I made some jewelry gifts, earrings which I will show tomorrow as I didn't get pictures, and this delicious WW approved Braised Cabbage and apples.  


Very simple with few ingredients--small head of red cabbage (shredded), 2 apples (peeled and cored), red onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tbs. sugar, and red wine vinegar.  Heat 1 tbs. of olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the onion and garlic until soft.  Add the cabbage, apples, vinegar,  and sugar.  Cover and cook on low heat until the cabbage is tender.

Got up early and headed out to church Easter morning.  Had to leave extra early because I had to put some money on my metrocard.  Thankfully, the weather was nice.  No rain and the sun was breaking through.  


Tulips in the church yard.  So pretty.

A new Olive Garden opened only 15 minutes away from us, and that is where we went for Easter dinner....first. There was a 2 1/2 hour wait. I'll wait, but not for that long. At that point I was so hungry I would have been happy with the Wendy's nearby, but Ralph said lets drive out to other one...our usually which is about 40 minutes away. Okay, so that we did and we had less than an our wait. Got a huge plate of whole wheat pasta and meat sauce and brought half home for dinner tonight. Filled up on salad and yummy breadsticks. Thank goodness I have a whole week and a half yet to lose this.

Today I'm off to Wellness and Cooking for Life. Another busy one.

Have a wonderful day.

23 comments:

  1. I have been to Olive Garden a couple of times and there is always a wait, I will wait 15 minutes, but never two hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby says since they are new they are still trying to get it all together and that's probably why the wait was so long. Needless to say, the atmosphere in there was hectic. Was glad we chose not to eat there.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a nice weekend...even with the scrapped plans due to the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made that braised cabbage recipe once a few years ago -- it was delicious! I should make it again now that you've reminded me of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it. Goes well with my meatless, point free menu this week.

      Delete
  4. That cabbage along with your ingredients really looks and sounds like it would be delicious, just by my looking at it, it's making me hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a good weekend. Olive Garden, like most of the other big places, refuse to take reservations as they want to cram as much business in as possible. I miss the days when these restaurants at least allowed you to call in ahead seating like Red Lobster did. Oh well, your meal sounded delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good food and beautiful flowers...how wonderful!
    Nice to keep our hands busy doing the things that we love.
    I am sure that your jewelry turned out lovely...it always does~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food was delicious and worth traveling for.

      Delete
  7. Wow, that braised cabbage looks amazing...I will simply HAVE to try it!
    Oh I'd really like to see your latest jewelry!😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful flowers! The soup is more my style rather than the cabbage everyone else seems to like. I'm just not a fan of fruit in savory food. I cannot wait to see the jewelry pic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love soups. Make bunches of it in all different kinds.

      Delete
  9. A two hour wait? Not for me.
    That soup looks good and I am also looking forward to seeing your jewellery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good. Have some in the freezer for next week's dinners. Scale time coming up. Need those 0 point foods.

      Delete
  10. Both the Mexican Summer Vegetable Soup and the braised cabbage and apples dish look and sound good.
    The tulips are colourful, so nice to see.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look for low point foods. These came out of my WW cookbook with a few little changes.

      Delete
  11. I love Mexican tastes, include vegetable soup....your soup look delicious...yummy

    Have a wonderful day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Mexican food. We used to have a great restaurant nearby but it closed because rent was getting too high.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the recipe I have noted it as I am looking for low calorie filling food. Cabbage always does the trick :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete