Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Summer Heat


Before I begin, I want to apologize to anyone who commented.  It seems Blogger is erasing comments as I try approve.  This is happening on all my blogs, and I just don't want anyone to feel I am 'dissing' them in anyway.  Please accept my apologies. 

What can I say about today!  It's hot; we're going up over a hundred degrees...and will be hot and humid all week.  It's not easy dealing with this.  Thankfully, the subways are downright cold, but the subway stations leave a lot to be desired...unbearable heat, dreadful stench.  


Yesterday, it was so hot, my son and I were filling bowls of water for the outdoor animals, those that can find no relief. We have a mother cat and her four kittens, squirrels, birds...Then, in the heat of the afternoon, my son stepped outdoors and came back in...shaken.  At the foot of the stairs lay a poor squirrel.  We think the poor creature came for some water and was jumped by a cat and killed.  Together, we buried the poor little thing and said a prayer.  Later, I mentioned that because of the heat, our backyard was becoming much like the wild. 


It's times like this that I begin to wonder about how did our ancestors manage through all this heat and humidity without having the luxury of electricity or air conditioning.  How did they survive...or perhaps, we have become so spoiled with all of our technological appliances that we feel the heat more than they did?  I wonder. 

I'd like to leave you now with this little prayer I found.
 
Honor the sacred.
Honor the Earth, our Mother.
Honor the Elders.
Honor all with whom we
share the Earth--
Four-leggeds, two-leggeds,
winged ones,
Swimmers, crawlers,
plant and rock people.
Walk in balance and beauty.
--Native American Elder--

8 comments:

  1. I have seen where your weather has been so hot... hope it cools off soon... us on the other hand have had rain the last couple weeks and unseasonably cooler weather... go figure...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That darn Blogger! It's always up to something. Maybe the heat affects it too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~oh mary...how sweet your heart is to bury the poor little fellow and to nuture all the animals...last year we hit high 90's which isn't really a norm for us and we were out doing the same...we lost our mama birdie and her babies after being away camping for four days...i think the heat and no water took the best of them...thank you for sharing this prayer with us...i wish you a cool week ahead...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blessings to you Mary on this hot tuesday i do hope your keeping lovely and cool :) just wanted to thank you for all your supportive messages :) i am slowly returning to normal-ish now. Hope this doesn't get eaten by the bloger monster x x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely special prayer. Sorry to hear about the poor squirrel :( Keep cool! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard that up North is supposed to hit triple digits this week. I know its not fun at all. It's probably the only time I don't miss NY. LOL. Do try to stay cool if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The heat this year has been overwhelming. The humidity just takes your breath away. How awful for your son to find a dead squirrel. You are such a sweet soul to have buried him. I haven't had to fill containers outside because of all of the storms, but might have to start this week as the storms are suppose to be over. Wishing you cooler weather!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Mary...

    Oh we are definitely in the heat of things!! I wish you frosty, cool thoughts and comfort throughout this heatwave. I keep thinking about my snow angels. *sigh*

    Hugs,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete