Sunday, February 25, 2024

The Golden Age

 They call them the golden years, but I wonder what 'golden' really means.  I'll be 77 in a few weeks, and to be honest, I sometimes wonder how that term came about.  Actually it was cooked up as an advertising campaign for a retirement community in 1959.  

After all, what is so 'golden' about living with chronic pain in shoulder and back, giving up some favorite foods because the old tummy won't tolerate them anymore, needing your glasses just to zipper up your jacket, and forget cutting your toenails.  That's become a major endeavor. My blood pressure is up, my kidneys are an issue, and my body has aches in every part.  I laugh when I tell people I have braces at home for every part of my body, but it's true. Back, wrist, knee, shoulder, even an ankle bracelet.  Not much missing.

But, it's not all bad.  And there is some, a lot, of golden in these years.  First, I no longer have to color my hair every 4 weeks and am the envy of a lot of young people who are  trying to get my color.  (I don't know why I always close my eyes when taking a selfie).


Secondly, I am not a slave to my alarm clock anymore.  I can sleep as late as I want.  Unfortunately, my body clock is already set from so many years of waking early, but now when I get up early (which is every day), it is because it is my choice.

Thirdly, I don't have to feel guilty when I call in sick because I don't have to call in anymore.  Going to the center is my choice and if I don't feel like going, I don't go.  I do go in for my classes but the few times I don't, I just get someone to cover me.

Fourth, I have time to do all the things I could never do while working.  While the activities are fun, the socialization and friendships are more important.  The only friends I had were my peers on the job, and although I considered them friends, I didn't realize what true friendship was like.  

Fifth, half price bus fare.  Saves me a lot of money.

Sixth, people get up to give me a seat when I get on the bus.  I always got up to give a seat to my elders, and now people are doing it for me.  

Seventh, parties.  Every month we have a party.  And in December I attended a Christmas party for volunteers and a Christmas fund raiser.  I NEVER attended parties when I was still working.  Just no time for fun.  

And finally, SCRIE, the rent freeze program for senior citizens.  The building owners can raise my rent, but I continue paying the same amount and the program picks up the rest.  Without it, my rent would be over $2,000 now.  

I know there is so more to be thankful for, but I just can't think of them now.

Have a joyous Sunday.
 


3 comments:

  1. So long as the "pro's" outweigh the "cons," you're ahead of the game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photo, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending lots of good wishes to you.
    It's not always easy but do your best to keep smiling.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete