Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Taking Control of my Health

Wednesday already.  My goodness.  How time is flying!  Seems the older I get, the faster it goes.  Went to the doctor on Monday and didn't get good news.  I knew I'd be read the riot act because of my blood work, but I hadn't realized how concerned the doctor would be.  Figured I'd just explain the my diet went to pot over the holidays but I was back on track now, but that didn't help alleviate his concern.  In fact, he put fear in me.  Maybe that's what I needed to hear so I would take this kidney stuff more seriously.  

Ny GFR went from 59 to 50; that's 9 points in 8 months.  The doctor advised me if it continues like this that in 3 to 4 years I will be on dialysis. That's something I didn't want to hear.  He gave me a prescription for Jardiance which has recently been approved to treat CKD and lectured me on my food choices.  Poultry only twice a week.  Get my protein from beans, eggs, and fish.  Stay away from red meat and processed foods.  Time to knuckle down.  

He didn't test my cholesterol or trigycerides which were already high.  These past few months have been a lesson learned...albeit the hard way. I just can't eat like I did when I was young and hope to stay healthy.  I also need to get more exercise in my life.  I've become far too sedentary.  So from today on begins a new me.  Won't be a happy camper until I get used to it, but hey, I was able to give up my nightly ice cream a month ago and now no longer miss it.  Wish me luck.


GLUCOSE 
110 H
Reference Range: 65-99 mg/dL
Fasting reference interval
For someone without known diabetes, a glucose value  ... Show More
UREA NITROGEN (BUN) 
28 H
Reference Range: 7-25 mg/dL
CREATININE 
1.14 H
Reference Range: 0.60-1.00 mg/dL
EGFR
50 L
Reference Range: > OR = 60 mL/min/1.73m2
BUN/CREATININE RATIO 
25 H
Reference Range: 6-22 (calc)
SODIUM 
138
Reference Range: 135-146 mmol/L
POTASSIUM 
4.0
Reference Range: 3.5-5.3 mmol/L


3 comments:

  1. Kudos for being motivated and determined to make the changes recommended by the doctor. Good luck and good health!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sound very determined to embrace the changes your Doctor recommended. Keep knuckling down, you can do this.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the new diet. I changed my diet because of diabetes a couple of years ago and it wasn't easy but seeing progress in my blood tests made it worth it.

    ReplyDelete