Friday, June 7, 2019

Friday Roundup

I'm back.  My shoulder is much better.  I have to remind myself in the future to ease up on it when it gets that bad.  I could barely raise my right arm to put my clothes on.  Not good.  But I dealt with it.  I want thank all of you for your concern.  It really meant a lot to me.

This has been a rough week.  Do you remember me telling you I caught hubby's cold?  Well, it went on and on and on, not getting any better.  Throat tickles, coughing to the point that tears came out of my eyes, post nasal drip, headaches, tiredness.  I did everything I could to get rid of it--lemon ginger tea with honey, Coricidin, lots of vitamin C rich foods, rest, etc.  But, nothing worked.  Not only was there no changes, but it seemed to be getting worse.  

When I woke up this past Sunday with my eyes all red and gooped up I knew it was time to see the doctor, something I NEVER do for a cold, but I had been suffering for 9 days with no improvement.  Good thing I went.  Turns out I was suffering with severe allergies.  I NEVER had allergies before and told him.  Doctor told me neither had he, but this year it hit him, and allergies can hit anyone at any age.  So I left his office with a prescription for Claritin, an eye drop, and prednisone.  The prednisone I refuse to take.  Hubby took 5 mg for his emphysema and it brought him from pre-diabetes to diabetes.  When he stopped taking it, he went back to pre.  I, too, am pre-diabetic, and my RX was for 4 10 mg pills for 5 days.  That's a lot.

After research I decided it's not conducive to my blood pressure which was 153/83 yesterday. Prednisone raises the sodium level and lowers the potassium--not good. Will also be buying over the counter eye drops from now on.  Almost fainted when she told me my RX had a $37.50 co-pay.    And it was only for THREE DAYS.  Yikes.  

Trying to follow the Mediterranean Diet.  Trouble is, I don't like fish, but I adore their other foods.  

Cucumber, tomato, black beans, parsley, white sweet onion, lemon juice and olive oil.

Chicken thighs, olives, peppers, onion, garlic, rosemary, and salt free chicken broth. 

Finally returned to the center on Wednesday.  I didn't attend Mindfulness because of throat tickle attacks when I sit still, and I didn't want to ruin everyone else's meditation.   

Went to WW on Thursday.  So darn frustrated, but not giving up. I did everything right these past few weeks.  Salads, 0 point soups, grilled chicken, veggies, and extra walking. And only lost .4. Still over and still had to pay. It's frustrating because I just don't know what to do. I'm doing it all and it's not working. Grrr!!!! Better luck next week.  That's all I can say.

Off to the center today, but before I go, I'd like to say I'm glad to be back. I really missed all of you.

21 comments:

  1. Glad your shoulder and cold are both better. I have doubts about that doctor. Prednisone? That's heavy duty stuff. As a steroid, it can induce "roid rage" too. I have a friend with COPD who has to take it from time to time and when she does, she stays home from work so as not to kill her co-workers (figuratively, of course).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, hubby didn't get roid rage, but as I said, it sent his sugar level soaring.

      Delete
  2. Missed you Mary. So happy you are back.
    Sorry to hear that you have been feeling badly.
    You are very smart to watch what meds you take when you have other medical problems.
    Take care and have a lovely day 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan. It's good to be back. I missed all of you so much.

      Delete
  3. You are quite right - pred makes you more hungry and retain water hence the weight gain and it is JUST PLAIN BAD! I do not understand WHY doctors insist on using it for just about everything. I often question the medical field!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always research meds before taking them. Glad I did with this one. It just seemed to me that 40 mg a day of a steroid was too much.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad to hear you are on the mend. Sorry that you've been sick. Mom has had a cold turned sinus infection turned bronchitis going on 2 months now. She just now is on the mend herself. They ended up putting her on the prednisone. It raised her blood pressure, then dropped it, then raised...like a darn roller coaster. It also lowers your already weakened immune system, making you more easy to catch other viruses. She is finally off hers.
    I have been wanting to try the Mediterranian diet myself. I do love most fish and crab/shrimp/lobster. I just don't know if I could and it would almost certainly mean cooking separately. Would love to hear about some of the things you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doctors are so quick to prescribe that drug. I saw what 5 mg did to hubby. Could you imagine 40 mg a day? How many mg. is Mom's prescription?

      Delete
    2. I believe hers were 5 mg also. She had to start with 6 on day one, 5 on day two, etc. I think she had like 30 some odd pills to go through over the course of the week. I think she is done or almost done with them. She had to skip a day or two because of her blood pressure.

      Delete
    3. I was wrong, hers were 10 mg each.

      Delete
  5. My Right Shoulder is doing the same thing and it's excruciating sometimes! Glad you went to Doc to find out what was wrong for the lingering 'Cold'... I hate going to Docs too and put it off for as long as humanly possible. Prednizone can be The Devil, glad you didn't take it... my Brother had to for a Terminal diagnosis of Lung Disease, it wrecked his Bones, they gave him alarmingly high levels to breathe since they thought he'd die prematurely anyway. When he didn't die the damage was already extensive to his Bones and now he has constant breaks they are so brittle. Good Luck on WW, I too am trying a different Lifestyle of eating to lose Weight and hopefully get off 4 Insulin Shots a day for the dreaded Diabetes! I no longer eat Meat but I do eat Seafood and loads of Fresh Veggies and Fruits, keep Carbs moderate and eat alternative Protein Sources. Most of the fake Meats now are pretty damned good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. So sorry to hear about your brother. It seems to be the drug of choice for some doctors. Can't even understand why it was prescribed for me. I didn't have any trouble catching my breath. Have you checked out the Mediterranean Diet? Very healthy and good for weight loss.

      Delete
    2. The Mediterranean Diet didn't work for me but the selection of foods was tasty and I still eat some of it. With being an insulin Diabetic I think my metabolism is just all jacked up and I'll have to keep trying different things to see what will work for how it just is.

      Delete
  6. I am really glad that you are (mostly) feeling better. You have been missed.
    I had a course of intravenous prednisone a few times, Not a nice drug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I saw with hubby, I knew better than to take it. Intravenous? Oh my. Right into your system.

      Delete
  7. So glad to hear that you are doing much better!!!!!!

    Keep at the weight...you’ll get back to free WW again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think what's so frustrating is that you do so well and are prepared to see a loss when you get on the scale, but it's not quite what you expected.

      Delete
  8. Glad to know that you are blogging back and your shoulder much better...

    aww...chicken makes me feel hungry...yummy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely to see you blogging again :)
    So pleased to read you are doing much better, I wish you continued good healing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete