Sunday, May 12, 2019

Sunday Selections

With gardening season here, I must say I am a bit envious of those of you starting your gardens.  I miss mine so much.  But, before I begin, I'd love to wish everyone a Happy Mother's Day.

A little bit of everything.

One day I was eating a piece of watermelon and obviously dropped a pit.  Before I knew it, I was growing watermelons....and they were delicious.  

My eggplants.  Talk about yummy.

This little gem sitting among my pepper and onion plants is a spirit plan.  I don't know what it's real name is.  My Dominican mother-in-law planted it in our garden when we first moved there.  It was supposed to keep negative spirits away.  I do believe it actually protected my veggies against the many raccoons in the area.  None of my plants were touched.

In the background, those are the SECOND FLOOR windows.  That's how tall and huge this sunflower was.

A view of my cabbage, eggplants, and in the rear tomatoes and herbs.


Different house, different garden.  Nothing grew as healthy here.

Cabbage plants.

A couple flowers thrown in.

That's my apple tree.  Grew apples like mad.

Close up of my gorgeous flower.  Just one grew but it was so beautiful.


19 comments:

  1. I am envious, too! I won't have a garden this year either although I will have some baskets and potted plants. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not having the luck with indoor and potted plants that I had with the outdoor garden.

      Delete
  2. Happy Mother's Day to you, Mary! I wish you a very beautiful day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Had a rather sleepy day, but wonderful dreams.

      Delete
  3. Happy Mother's Day Mary! Great pictures! The spirit plant your mother-in-law planted looks like Rue...Ruda in Spanish. It's a lovely plant with good energies. I kept one in my last garden and hoping to find one in this area to plant in my cottage garden. Thanks for the reminder. I hope you've been well. Have a wonderful week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice to hear from you. I so miss visiting your blog.

      Delete
  4. Happy Mother's Day.
    Love your garden photos. When we move next our garden will be considerably smaller - and I dread that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice here in the building because there is someone now to fix things, but I had to give up something I loved to have this.

      Delete
  5. Happy Mothers and thanks for all garden photos.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love getting out there on my hands and knees. Those days are over. If I get down, I can't get up.

      Delete
  6. You have had some beautiful gardens,Mary! They are lovely and I love that picture of you with the watermelon 'patch'. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was magical. Everything grew. Two pound cucumbers. Beautiful huge sweet tomatoes. I miss it so.

      Delete
  7. I hope you had a fabulous Mother's Day, Mary!😊
    Here, ours was back in March.
    I can see why you miss your previous gardens so much...all those lovely plants. If we ever move, I will miss mine too, terribly.
    Really wish you could pop round and share mine (and a nice cup of coffee!)!!😊😊

    Big Hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could pop round. It's the one thing I regret about moving into a building....but I wonder if I really could care for a garden like I used to.

      Delete
  8. I miss my garden too!!! There is something about food fresh out of a garden...and there is something cathartic about working in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love sitting in the garden at night. It was so quiet and peaceful. Another world.

      Delete
  9. I love watermelon...sweet.
    Happy mother day

    ReplyDelete
  10. Belated good wishes for Mother's Day.
    Great to see your garden photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete