Friday, May 3, 2019

Friday Roundup

It's Friday again.  Another week done.  Started out poorly-tummy issues-and ended with a bang. 

On Tuesday I went to a senior resource fair.  Lots of good information to be had. It was a long, but interesting day.  I especially like the presentation made by the police department.    

Spring has finally sprung here in Brooklyn.

Took this picture of my building while waiting for the bus.  I understand why they do it, but I hate the fact that they have to trim these trees so.  I imagine if left alone they would be tall and majestic.


This gorgeous tree stands in the churchyard of the center where I go. 

Wanted to share something that I learned in one of the lectures I sat in on at the senior resource fair the other day. It was one given by the police department on scammers. I knew about the IRS and the family member in jail one, but I never knew how 'fishing' worked. I did know that they used something sticky to 'fish' in the mailbox for letters hoping to find a check or cash, but I could never understand what good someone's check to Con Edison would be useful to them. Now I know. It seems they have some type of acid that they dip the check in. This leaves the check totally in tact, but erases the ink so what they now have is a BLANK CHECK which they usually write out to cash in whatever amount they want. We all received a special pen the police devised that the ink will not evaporate.  

Had my appointment with ENT on Wednesday. I really like my doctor. He is very thorough. Left ear had packed in wax that he 'vacuumed' out. Still hear the ringing but he said to give the brain a couple of days to recognize it. Eardrums are both fine. Right ear was wax free, but hearing test showed I had some loss of hearing in that ear. Certain sounds. He checked my jaw alignment. Seems okay. Put a camera down my nose and it was discovered that I have a deviated septum. This is what is causing the occasional pain and congestion on my left side. I go back in 3 months for follow up.

Stayed in yesterday.  Not for fear of the scale, but just because I'd had two really long days, and I needed the rest.  Took a long nap in the afternoon.

Today I'm heading to the center. Jewelry making this afternoon.

Have a wonderful day.

17 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your pictures from yesterday. I just finished reading a sweet story about the childhood of actress Rhea Perlman. She grew up in Brooklyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooklyn is a magical place. I wouldn't want to live anyplace else.

      Delete
  2. Love that pic of the tree in the churchyard - very pretty. You are right to warn about the scammers tricks ... thank you for the important info!

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. So many fall for it. Just had a call yesterday from someone who said they were from a claim department. I have no claims.

      Delete
  3. I love your pictures of those beautiful trees too...they invoke a wonderfully uplifting sense of spring!😊
    So glad you attended that talk about how to beat the scammers. Those people really are the scum of the earth, aren't they! And they just keep finding more and more elaborate ways to destroy other people's lives. It really is sickening. At Christmas, the year before last, they cleared my bank account. It was so upsetting, and took ages to sort out. The money in there had been intended to buy presents for my family!
    Thank you so much, Mary, for posting this info on how to thwart them. This is really useful information!

    Have a wonderful weekend!😊😊

    Love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG!!! That's terrible. I hope the bank took care of you.
      It seems every day there are more and more scams out there.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful photos. Why we plant trees under power lines I will never understand.
    Great advice from the police, too.
    Hope you are feeling better soon, Mary 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand it either. I guess these trees were planted long before they thought of the power lines. They should be much taller but every year they trim them.

      Delete
  5. Nice to see your photographs, the blossom looks so lovely.

    Interesting and good advice from the police, many thanks for sharing that.

    Pleased your appointment went well and seemed helpful, here's to the follow up in three months time.

    Hoping you've enjoyed some quieter restful time, my good wishes for the coming weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I did enjoy the quiet time, but wish the ear cleaning had worked. Still have that ringing.

      Delete
  6. you are so busy...hope, everything goes well with you.
    Thank you for sharing gorgeous tree...I love its flowers, beautiful.

    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that tree, and each time I went I wanted to take a picture, but I've been forgetful these days. I am glad I got it before the blossoms were gone.

      Delete
  7. That is one glorious tree.
    On the main entry into town ALL of the trees were cut down to make way for light rail. I understand why, but grieve just the same.
    Thank you for alerting me to a scam I had never heard about.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so sad what is happening to our trees. Sooner or later, those in front of my house will die from being cut back so much.

      Delete
  8. Sound like your senior place got a lot of cool activities.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly keep yourself busy! I love to hear about your adventures!!!

    I can totally understand why you didn’t go to WW...but don’t stay away too long. Take it from a ‘fallen lifetimer’ You need those meetings!! (Maybe not you...but I needed them!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are days, like to day, where I miss Brooklyn so deeply. Well, NY in general. The ability to just walk, bus, or train anywhere I want to go.
    Glad to you were able to find out about your ear and hopefully now the ringing will stop.
    Another thing to be aware of in scam calls is when they ask if you can hear them. Do not reply with just a yes, they record your response and use them to approve stuff on your behalf. Or so I've been told, but good practice nonetheless. Scammers are so savvy these days.

    ReplyDelete