Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Tuesday Ramble


The weather has not been very good here.  The weekend was a washout and showers are predicted every day.  Yesterday I spent some time planning a menu for Sunday when his sister comes and listing everything I will have to buy.  I really don't mind having company aside from the furniture, and I do love cooking for people, but I want it to be on my terms.  After all, it is my place, and I'd prefer to do the inviting.  Don't invite yourself.  Not going to buy anything yet, though.  Hubby says she may not even come.  His family is like that.  We want to visit, but we want to do so when it's convenient for us, not you.  Our lives count, not yours.  Sorry to sound so bitter, but I have a long, not so nice history with his family.  

Suffice it to say I became the enemy when I became friends with the one sister they don't like. And they have been vicious to me--sending invites to family affairs without my name on it, leaving messages on MY answering machine in Spanish, speaking totally in Spanish when we drove them home from his mom's birthday party. All kinds of nasty little things. Mind you, these are school teachers, and they speak English very well, but this was their way of cutting me out.
 Got my Himalayan salt chunks yesterday.  Putting them in my kitchen and living room to purify the air. Computers, microwaves, and air conditioners emit a lot of positive ions. Too much positive ions can make one feel tired and depressed. Hubby and I have been spending a lot of time in the house under the AC, and I am always on the computer, and lately we have both been more tired than usual.  Can chalk some of it up to our colds and the weather, but not all of it.  Just so sluggish and depressed. Salt rocks naturally emit negative ions.  Technically, they are considered sea salt, and Himalayan salt is reputd to be the purist form of sea salt.  Think I am going to buy more for all around the house.

Dinner last night.   Andalusian chick pea and cabbage stew. 0 points and very yummy.
1 can chick peas
1 small cabbage
1  can fire roasted diced tomatoes with juice
Carrots
Celery
1 red bell pepper
Chopped onion
Garlic 
Cumin
Paprika
Dried oregano
Dried thyme 
Cayenne
Olive oil
Red wine vinegar
Black pepper
3 cups vegetable stock (I use bullion cubes)

Heat oil and saute onions until transparent.  Add the pepper and garlic.  Saute a few minutes. Add cabbage.  Be sure to stir often.  Cook until cabbage has lost its volume.  Add spices and stir.  Add tomatoes and vegetable stock.  Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring often.  Add red wine vinegar and black pepper.  Stir to combine.




11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And delicious. I try to eat meatless several days a week. Just can't do it all the way. Love my chicken and meatballs too much.

      Delete
  2. Forgive me for speaking my mind on this one, but all I can say about people who act that way (and I do not care which Country they/people come from) is RUDE, RUDE, RUDE!!

    I just bought a set of Himalayan salt votive candle holders as they were on sale at Bed, Bath & Beyond. LOVE them so much!

    The stew looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't believe they were teachers to act this way. And, one of his sisters has about 4 masters degrees. But in my book, she doesn't know a thing.

      Delete
  3. Your dinner looks wonderful. Really wonderful.
    A big sigh at self-entitled people who feel the need to be nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tasted so good. I love cabbage and I love any kind of bean so it was a winner all the way around.

      Delete
  4. I feel so bad for you that adults who are family would be rude enough to speak in another language that you do not understand when they speak English...so sad.
    I did not know that about the salt...thank you for the enlightenment. I must try this.
    Dinner sure looks delicious!!!
    Big Hugs Mary 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the first few years of our relationship, I bent over backwards trying to get along with his sisters....and then I grew up. I don't need them. I feel better now having let it go. It doesn't eat away at me anymore.

      Delete
  5. How your in laws treat you just makes my blood boil!!!! Why do people have to be so rude and inconsiderate!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, sorry about your sisters-in-law. They sound rather childish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are one good cook!
    I am so sorry about the in laws!!
    Sending you Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete