Friday, August 17, 2018

Friday Roundup

As another week comes to an end.  This hasn't been the best of weeks for me.  The weather has been terrible, and I've been feeling super tired as I heal from this cold.  To be honest, I can't honestly say these feelings are JUST from the cold.  I think a bit of mild depression might be thrown in.  I get like this when I am housebound.  I'm tired of the gray skies, the steamy humidity, and the rain.  It's caused a flare up in my osteoarthritis, and it's been never-ending pain.  I try to avoid taking pain relievers as much as possible, but I do continue with my regimen of natural supplements--Yucca, Turmeric, Tart Cherry Pills, Caltrate, and Omega 3's.  I've started taking my vitamin D3 supplements again  as I have been getting no sun, and D3 is needed for joints. 

Needless to say, this is one year I am really looking forward to autumn.  Oh, I do every year because it IS  my favorite season, but this year even moreso since we have had such a rough August, so little by little  I've started getting ready.  Just got these awesome 'Flavors of Autumn' and can't wait to cook with them.
Cinnamon, Ginger, Cardamom, Cloves, Orange Peel, Nutmeg  adds a warm, slightly spicy flavor to pies, muffins, cookies, and breakfast cereals.   I plan on putting this in my oatmeal in the morning.
Sage, rosemary, marjoram, thyme, marjoram, parsley, black pepper, allspice, celery seed  adds a rich fragrant flavor to stuffings, roasted vegetables, poultry, soups and stews. Have a wonderful vegetable soup I'm dying to try.  Soup season is almost here.  Yay.

Headed to the fruit stand on Tuesday.  Had to get some salad stuff, then headed back home.  Not much else to do.  Didn't think August break was going to hit me so hard. Stayed in on Wednesday, and finally on Thursday I was able to get out and socialize a bit when I went to my WW meeting.  Felt good to have a reason to get out of the house.  We even all went to brunch after the meeting.  Really made me realize how much I have been missing. 

I even managed to get a 'long' walk in.  When I got to the stop to pick up the second bus, I looked at my bus app and saw it was going to be 21 minutes.  Since my back hurts more when I stand in one spot, I decided I was going to walk it....in all that heat.  I got halfway there, and I got dizzy. Looked in my purse and discovered I had forgotten my water.  Held onto a pole for a few, then continued on, stopping in the first store I passed for some much needed cold water.   Did the trick.  I was able to walk the rest of the way with no problems.  16 blocks.

No plans today.  More rain is on the way.  I'll be so glad when this month is over. 



15 comments:

  1. oh i am sorry that August is bothering you with humidity and constant rains my friend!

    i live in Asia Pakistan and get lots and lots of sun though yet i have to take medicines for my joints pain which doubles in winters but still i love autumn just like you
    16 blocks ?
    well this is great run i think ! best wishes for your health!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you. The winter hasn't bothered me as much as these humid days, but last year my pain wasn't as bad. I'm hoping this year is the same.

      Delete
  2. August is past its mid-point now! Soon lovely September will be here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I keep telling myself that. Just counting down the days.

      Delete
  3. I completely empathize with you on the horrid weather this year. It has been BRUTAL to say the least!

    That Flavors of Autumn looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're not too far from me so you are experiencing the same kind of weather. Dreadful summer.

      Delete
  4. I've heard it's been hot and humid there with crazy thunderstorms in the evenings. We finally got a break in our triple digits. But now we are under a Red Flag warning through the weekend and there's the potential for storms especially lightening which is not good at all. It's so dry, we've had no rain for probably close to two months now. The heat has pretty much kept us home except when absolutely necessary to go out for some groceries.
    I hate taking pain meds too. Avoid it as much as possible when I can. Hope you feel better!!!
    I can't wait for Autumn either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be so glad when September arrives. I know it can be miserable the first couple of weeks, but at least then I will feel more hope. I just can't stand much more of it. I stay in under the AC as well. Too hot to go anywhere, but at least we have had rain.

      Delete
  5. I do feel your anguish and pain. It is very hard to keep upbeat when one is suffering.
    It will be cooling soon and I believe this will help so many of us who have trouble breathing in this hot and humid weather.
    Considering all this, I believe that you are hanging in there with much courage and determination.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has been one of the most brutal Augusts I can remember. Last year at August break I was spending time in the park. This year I have only been there once.

      Delete
  6. That was one long walk. Well done you. I find heat and humidty increases my pain so I ache for and with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will do that walk again, but not until the heat and humidity are gone. Yes, it increases my pain as well. I wake up mornings and can't even stand up straight until I get into the shower.

      Delete
  7. That was some walk, especially with the heat and humidity we have been getting. Good for you for taking it on. I hope you took some me time to rest when you got home.

    I know what you mean about the constant rain bringing on the blues. It is thundering here (again) and we expect high winds and lots and lots of more rain. Predictions for tomorrow are more of the same.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This summer the weather had just been soooo whacky!!!

    Kudos for walking....thank heavens you were able to get water in you quickly and that it did the trick!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry about your pain! Please take care!
    September is almost here! Hopefully the cool, dry weather will kick in!
    I love the spices! I can't wait for homemade soup! Yummy! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete