Monday, August 6, 2018

Monday Morning This and That


Good morning.  I had a great weekend.  Did you?  Hubby is feeling better and was finally able to go back to work.  He drives a cab at night.  I wasn't for it, thought it was dangerous, but it makes him happy, and he feels productive.  Unlike me, he wasn't ready to retire, but with funding cuts his job closed, and then with his emphysema, he just didn't have it in him to start over elsewhere, so he retired.  But, where I was always looking for classes to take and things to day, he sat around becoming depressed.  So finally I found a free class that really interested him, getting his CDL license, and he enjoyed it.  After completion, though, they told him with his health condition it would be difficult for him to find work driving a big rig.  So then he went for his TLC and has been driving ever since.  And him being back to work meant that I FINALLY managed to get a decent night's rest.

Hubby and I went out to dinner at Applebees and then onto a movie.  Although I like their steaks and grilled chicken, I LOVE their Chicken Wonton Stir Fry, but after checking on the amount of sodium in it, I decided to go for something different.  Almost 3,000 mg is a bit much so I settled for this delicious Southwestern Steak Salad.
Chimichurri smothered steak, mixed greens *lots of different ones), black bean corn salsa, a blend of Cheddar cheeses, tortilla strips with cilantro ranch dressing. Oh my!!! It was super delicious. I can't say enough about it.

Afterwards we saw Mission Impossible.  Fantastic, action filled movie.   I missed that familiar music.
The other day I looked out my window, and what did I see?  One lone sunflower in the lot next door where the houses were torn down.  Have no idea where how that seed got there. Sunflowers are one of my favorite flowers,  and they have such beautiful meaning--healing, warmth, loyalty, and constancy.  A Greek myth relates the tale of  a beautiful water nymph who fell in love with the sun god, Apollo.  In her love of Apollo, she would sit on the earth and gaze at the sun day after day. While Apollo took no notice of the nymph, the other gods felt compassion for her and turned her into a sunflower. This explains sunflower buds always follow the sun.
Got my looms for the knitting class I plan on starting in September.  I know how to crochet, but have never been able to learn how to knit.  They use these looms in the class so maybe I can learn to make some nice hats.  No overspending for Christmas this year.  I learned my lesson last year.  Still playing catch up...and gifts still sit unwrapped. 

13 comments:

  1. Yay to a nice weekend!!! :-)

    I can’t wait to see the finished product when you start using your loom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can crochet, but I can't knit. I thought I'd try those looms and picked up a set, well both the long and round. I failed LOL. I couldn't keep the yarn tight enough around the pegs. I now have a set that was gifted to me a couple of years ago that I was thinking of giving it another go with. Maybe I'll try that this winter.
    Glad hubby is feeling better!!!! Dinner sounds delish! Their salads are pretty good.
    I want to make more of my gifts for others, I just feel like the recipients don't appreciate them. Like they are disappointed that I didn't spend money I don't have. Except they don't realize the cost of supplies and my time is just as valuable. Or maybe that's just my brain over thinking as usual lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably never would have thought of the loom if I didn't have a teacher to help me. It looks pretty complicated.

      Delete
  3. I am like you, I can crochet but never learned how to knit. Good for you!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try. Found something I hadn't heard of as well. Diamond painting. I won a kit so we'll see what it involves.

      Delete
  4. Men sometimes need help after retiring. Leftbalone they tend to watch news non stop and get blue. Thank goodness Louis Dean has his music! Plus I give him a list of 3 things I need him to do very day. He was retired when I married him but I was working. He decided to get a job at Home Depot and did that for a couple of years. We usually have more to do than we can actually accomplish every day but that’s a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was getting so depressed. I had to find something to get him out of the house. I had my retirement all planned before I retired. He didn't. It was not his decision.

      Delete
  5. I am so glad that your husband is better.
    And hooray for the cheery sunflower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had a bit of a relapse this afternoon. Have him drinking ginger tea.

      Delete
  6. You do have an interesting life! You keep yourself busy and creative.
    You try interesting foods and you love your hubby and care about him and keep him interested in life, too.
    I am happy to blog with you!

    Hugs ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I have to keep busy. I'm so used to working.

      Delete
  7. I'm happy your husband is better and that he is working. If it makes him happy that is good!
    That meal looks so good! I can't wait to see Mission Impossible!
    Love the story about the sunflower! So happy you saw one!
    The knitting class sounds like fun!
    Just to let you know, I found the store on Etsy! Nice shop!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete