Monday, August 13, 2018

Monday This and That

It's been a quiet weekend for me as I continue to nurse this cold.  I don't get sick often, but when I do it is usually a doozy. On Friday I had to get out and do a little shopping even though I didn't feel much like it.  We have to eat, and hubby has been a lot sicker than I am.  His COPD makes getting a cold a serious problem.  So, while checking out the produce, I stumbled across the following and decided to give them a try.
I like trying new things.  Last year they had bubblegum grapes, and boy were they yummy.  Haven't found them since though, so when I saw these I thought best to grab them now, or I might not get a chance.  They are not in the berry family at all and  actually closely related to the tomatillo. They are pretty good.  It's hard to define their taste, but suffice it to say they are 'sweet and sour' sort of like a cherry tomato and a pineapple.  Truthfully though, not a purchase I would make again.
Saturday was a stay in and do some cooking day after a VERY quick trip to the fruit stand very early in the morning for a few forgotten items.  It was a rainy day anyway so I really didn't mind, and it had to be done.  It's like 'something always has to be done', and sometimes I begin to feel overwhelmed.

Well, the sister didn't come.  Hubby didn't exactly tell her 'no'; he told her we weren't up to it this week, that she should come next week. Darn, darn, darn.  This place is just not up to company.  We are badly in need of furniture, and it's downright embarrassing, but we are looking to move, hopefully soon, so are hesitant about buying new at this time.  First of all, there is not room for a full sofa and nice chairs, and that's what we want to get.  No sense in buying another loveseat at this time.   

We'd been totally ripped off by Ashley furniture.  Beware of that company.  Not to be trusted.  We had purchased a leather loveseat from them as well as an extra warranty.  Miss Minga was still alive and we were fearful that she would dig her claws into it.  Well, my sweet girl never did bother the love seat, but just sitting on it did as you can see below:

It began peeling just a little over a year after we purchased it.  I contacted Ashley and was told that the store that sold us the loveseat had sold out to them, and they had no record of our purchase....OR OUR WARRANTY.  It seems the previous owners had not kept a record of the sale so we were up the creek.  Had laid out almost a thousand dollars.  So much for paying cash. Next time we know better.  Worst of all, we couldn't find where we put the sales receipt.  When you move, so many things get lost.  So, we were out our money and  a loveseat.  A friend crocheted me a coverlet, and I have another purchased cover that I alternate it with.  Just hanging on now until we move.  Then, planning buying everything new but we are both a bit wary. But one thing for sure.  We will definitely not go to Ashley Furniture.

12 comments:

  1. Too bad about that loveseat. The last time I went furniture shopping a few years ago, I looked at an Ashley store but didn't see anything I liked. Good thing, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky you didn't find anything at Ashley. Rip off place for sure.

      Delete
  2. When I saw those “berries”, I did think they looked like cherry tomatoes. I don’t think I would like a pineapple tasting tomato either. Last year I grew chocolate cherry tomatoes. They did not taste anything like chocolate but were delicious. The name referred to it’s color.

    I have been told that one should be very careful when buying leather furniture. Ashley Furniture does not have a good reputation.

    I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate cherry tomatoes sound delicious. I love trying things that are different. When I found bubblegum grapes I went nuts. Never tasted a grape so good. Haven't found them since, though.

      Delete
  3. I feel ya! We have had so much rain I am getting so sick of it! It is pouring rain again today too! I truly hope that fall gives us ALL A BREAK!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain, rain, rain. Woke up to gray skies. Then rain for over 4 hours. Sun came out for a few minutes, and now I see it cloudy again. I find myself starting to get depressed because I am stuck inside all the time. And this cold doesn't help. Took a vitamin D3 this morning as I am not getting any sun.

      Delete
  4. How sad that you had to just eat that loss even though you had a warranty!
    The rain photo is refreshing...I love rainy days but we haven't had to many in quite a while!
    Good news and bad news with the family. They don't take hints easily do they?

    Hugs and Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had too much rain. And the humidity is so oppressive. I just feel so miserable lately. Trying to snap myself out of it.

      Delete
  5. I hope that both your's and your husbands health is improving.
    Sigh on the loveseat issue.
    All too common now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby is starting to feel better. The doctor gave him a Z pack to have on hand should this happen again. Had he taken it from the beginning, I don't think it would have gotten so bad.

      Delete
  6. Your fruit sounds intriguing! I buy cotton candy grapes sometimes and it tastes just like cotton candy!
    Could you have the loveseat recovered? That is if it is of sound construction. Some of my best furniture pieces came from thrift stores. Good solid pieces that have stood up well under some wear at a fraction of what I’d pay for brand new.
    Not nice to have paid top dollar for an inferior piece! Shame on that store!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry about the love seat! That is really too bad! I hope you and your hubby start to feel better!! Keep his family away! LOL! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete