Thursday, August 16, 2018

Throwback Thursday

When I was growing up I was never allowed to meet any of my dad's family.  My mom was adamant about that, and my dad pretty much did whatever she said.  I understand that there was a lot of alcoholism in the family, my dad was an alcoholic, and his mom, well, let's just say she didn't have the best reputation, but she was my grandmother, and it would have been nice to have met her....even if only once.  This was an entire part of my family that I was cut off from, and they were just as much a part of me as her family was.  I feel like because of my mom's decisions, I missed out on so much.  Fortunately, when I began working on my family tree I was able to piece a lot of their history together...and even meet several cousins I didn't know I had.  It's wonderful that I found these pictures, but it really doesn't make up for all the face-to-face contact I missed.
My great grandmother Constance Mary and her step father, John Staff.  My great great grandfather, Richard Hazel, died when Constance was three months old, and her mother, Harriet remarried.  They came to America a few months later.  This photo is from the early 1900's.
Constance Mary's sisters, Annie and Flossie.  Annie was blind. When she lived in Newton, she had a clothesline tied all around her yard which helped her to get around.
Constance Mary.
 Constance Mary with her daughter, Edith and her first born, Ruth.
Constance Mary with her son,  my grandfather, Harry.  They called him 'King'.
My dad sent this to my great grandmother Constance Mary who raised him and his brother.  All the family had nicknames.  His was 'Beatle'.
This is my dad's twin brother, Harry.  He always stayed thin while my dad gained a lot of weight.  Harry's nickname was 'Twinny'.
 My great great grandfather, Ralph...Constance Mary's husband.
 My grandfather Harry as a young man.
Constance Mary
 Harry (dad's twin), myself, and my Dad.

15 comments:

  1. Which county did Constance Mary and her parents emigrate from? England, I'm supposing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful these photos are.
    Unless there could be a danger to the child, I do not feel that a child should be separated from their relatives and parent from a breakup in a marriage or a relationship.
    Photos can't replace but they can help to know of them.

    Hugs Mary 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom was kind of a tyrant and my dad allowed her to set the rules. I do recall one time my dad took me someplace. I was really young and there were two women with an English accent. I think I did meet my great grandmother that one time.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful that you have those photos. My maternal grandparents died before I was born and because of a break in the family (secrets we were never told), I never got to meet many of my mother’s very large family. I do have pictures, though, and they are great fun to look through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your story is similar to mine, only in mine it was my dad's family. It was a very large family. I had lots of aunts, uncles, and cousins I never knew. Still reaching out to them today.

      Delete
  4. These are some amazing pics! I love looking at old family photos even if I never had a chance to meet those family members. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in awe when I see these photos, especially since I knew nothing about these people a few years ago. Ancestry.com is wonderful. I've dropped it now, but may take it up again in the future.

      Delete
  5. Those photos are amazing. I never knew any of my family. My father was a German Jew and family secrets and lies (and an ocean) separated us from my mother's family. I was brought up to believe I had no cousins. Another lie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a child, all I knew was mom's very small family. Three cousins. An aunt and an uncle. I never had any idea that there was this whole other family out there.

      Delete
  6. I love the collection of pictures that you e been able to gather!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often look through them and wonder about their lives.

      Delete
  7. Wow you did GREAT job by collecting and sharing all these photos and history of your family my friend!!!

    When my parents moved to the village of my mom ,my father was disliked by mom's family as he was her second husband whom she married after divorcing the husband chosen by her own family

    though he was humble and quite man !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To this day I have no idea why mom was like she was. I know it must have been hard on your dad.

      Delete
  8. Great photos Mary! Love the nicknames! Good for you looking up your history!

    ReplyDelete