Monday, July 23, 2012

Weekend Roundup




What lovely weekend weather we had. The sky was blue, the clouds white and floating slowly across one's view. The humidity gave us a welcome break and the temperature dipped into the 60's and 70's.  If everyday was like this, I would never complain.  But, the heat and humidity are on their way back and all one can do is deal with it; that, or take off work and hybernate in front of the air conditioner.  

Spent Saturday shopping, cooking, and cleaning.  On Sunday I awoke early, sipped my coffee in silence, and then added out for a nice walk to our local Rite Aid.  I was running short of incense, and they have a nice sampling to chose from, as well as a supply of the most wonderful scented candles imaginable. Stopped at the fruit stand for some cherry plums, but they were out so I came home with some white cherries, yellow plums, and dinosaur plums which are, by the way, one of the sweetest, juiciest fruits I have ever eaten. They say they are a cross between a plum and an apricot so they are loaded with vitamins.

On Saturday, I take the bus back and forth from food shopping.  I wanted to walk back this time, but my lower back has been aching. Well, to make a long story short, by the time we got to one stop from my home, the bus was pretty crowded.  I was seated at the front on a seat for three.  A young girl got on and sat at the other end of the seat, leaving a space between us, so when a rather fragile older man got on and did not see the vacant seat, I tapped him on the arm and motioned for him to sit.  At that, the girl said, "Oh, this seat is for my mother." 

Needless to say, I'd already caught a glimpse of the two before they got on the bus, and the girl's mom was no more than 45 years old. This old man had to be 75 to 80.  I've seen, and personally dealt with, so much of this lately that I could not contain myself, "But, he is an old man.  He deserves a seat.  I understand about you wanting this seat for your mom, but you are a young girl. How can you sit there with any conscience and watch him stand?" The girl just sat there.  "Oh well," I said, "If you won't give him a seat, then I will," and I proceeded to get up with my cane to allow him to sit. 

At that time, a party across the aisle had seen all that was going on and put her child on her lap so the man could sit, and I was able to retain my seat. The next stop was mine, but before I got off I saw an older woman get on the bus, and the girl, seeing her, immediately rose and gave her the seat. I had to smile. For most of us, common courtesy is something we don't have to think twice about, but others need to be taught. I smiled as I climbed down out of the bus, knowing that by speaking up, I had opened a young girl's eyes and taught her the valuable lesson of respect.

We learn by example and by direct experience because

there are real limits to the adequacy of verbal instruction.

Malcolm Gladwell

It just reinforced for me the importance of speaking up when we see any kind of  injustice happening in the world and doing the right thing instead of just witnessing or even going along with the crowd, and the best way of doing so is by example.  

Later today I have an appointment with my doctor who should have the results of my blood tests.  It's already been established that my thyroid is enlarged, and I'd be willing to bet that it is sluggish...and I have to say I am dreading my cholesterol results.  Hey, but I've nobody to blame but myself.  For years I went on eating whatever I wanted without a thought to the consequences.  And the fact is, when we don't pay attention to the final outcome, we have to be ready to face the results.

Got an email from Ancestry.  My test results are ready, so I am off now to meet my oldest grandmother.  Will tell you all about it tomorrow. 

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the bloodwork results! And I'm looking forward to hearing about your most ancient of grandmothers tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a lovely weekend... Sorry the heat is due back, down there.

    Hooray for you, for teaching that young person something!!!!!!

    All that fresh fruit to choose from! Isn't it wonderful?!? And up here, we have corn, fresh from the farm daily. I am loving this kind of eating.

    I figure it's a great time of year, to really get more serious, with what I eat too. Oh I don't eat, what I'm not supposed to eat. But... Regardless, I can eat too much of what I still can eat.

    Have to learn to really stop when satisfied, and all that jazzz. Good luck to both of us!!!

    Gentle hugs...

    "These old buildings do not belong to us only, they belong to our forefathers and they will belong to our descendants unless we play them false. They are not in any sense our own property to do with as we like with them. We are only trustees for those that come after us."
    ~William Morris

    ReplyDelete
  3. You didn't shame the girl at all for not giving the old man his seat and because of that, she'll remember and like you saw start automatically doing this. Good for you. It's the little karmic actions in life that make such a huge difference.

    I've also been enjoying Summer's bounty at my Farmer's Market with all the fruits, love them!

    Sending you lots of blessings for whatever you find out at the Dr.'s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love when the temperatures are lower like that!

    Now I'm getting hungry for plums!

    I'm so glad Mary that you spoke up like you did, that's great!!!

    I wish only the best of health for you my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete