Monday, July 30, 2012

Monday This and That



The world of reality has its limits;
the world of imagination is boundless.

Jean-Jacques Rousseau


I had a quiet weekend.  On Saturday, I slept late for a change and later took a walk to the fruit stand.  I was hoping to find some more dinosaur plums; I fell in love with them, but it seems that every week they have different deliveries.  Donut peaches seem to be on their way out and there have been no more cherry plums, but I did find some nice red velvet avocados.  Also bought salad ingredients, some gorgeous tomatoes on the vine, some carrots, red, green, and orange peppers, and some brocolli rabe.

Spent the afternoon cooking some toppings for my foods, hoping to add some taste.  Tried one on Saturday's chicken, and it did make my food more interesting.  It was simple to do.  I chopped up the peppers, an onion, and two tomatoes and sauteed half in one pot and half in another in a little olive oil. I added some garlic powder in both, and in one I added some Mrs. Dash's Extra Spicy and in the other, some garlic and herb. Added a wee bit of water and let everything simmer for a few.

Bought a new Kindle book...."Believing in Fairies, A Manual for Grownups" by Marcia Zina Mager.  As children, we believe in magic, but as we grow older the adults laugh, or chide us for our silly beliefs,  and we begin to believe that there is no such thing as fairies or nature spirits.  And, by the time we are adults, we find ourselves trapped in the world of reality, unable to get back to that magical world we once knew. The following is part of the review: "This book is uniquely different. It is a modern day instruction manual directly from the mystical realm itself; a 'Celestine Prophecy' brought back from the natural world. It takes the reader on a rare journey into a kingdom governed by ancient principles and powerful truths that can change our planet. Believing in Faeries promises to alter the way we view the world."

Needless to say, I  had a hard time putting the book down, but I did want to spend some what I call 'dark time'.  This is that time that the television goes off, the Kindle put aside, and the lights turned off.  Only a candle remains lit.  The curtains are pulled aside, and it is only me and the darkness of night.  This is 'my' time, my very special time when the cares and worries of the day are brushed aside as the darkness surrounds me and protects me. The world about me is sleeping, quiet, and I sit alone, gazing up at the beauty of the night sky and feeli
ng a sense of peace and wholeness and connection with the universe.

Sunday was rather uneventful, quiet time, getting ready for work...nails, laying out clothes for the week, cleaning out purse, etc...all those little things that have to be accomplished.  I look for little ways to avoid that morning rush to get ready.  There is nothing more frustrating in the morning than taking out a blouse and finding it needs ironing, or searching for an essential accessory such as a scarf or necklace.  It seems that the older I get, the more organized my life becomes.  Perhaps that is because the effects of the passage of time such as back aches and knee pain forces us to slow down, or perhaps it is because we finally realize that life passes by far too fast, and if we don't slow down we will miss it.

Wishing you all a great Monday and a sensational week.

The Flowers

All the names I know from nurse:
Gardener's garters, Shepherd's purse,
Bachelor's buttons, Lady's smock,
And the Lady Hollyhock.

Fairy places, fairy things,
Fairy woods where the wild bee wings,
Tiny trees for tiny dames--
These must all be fairy names!

Tiny woods below whose boughs
Shady fairies weave a house;
Tiny tree-tops, rose or thyme,
Where the braver fairies climb!

Fair are grown-up people's trees,
But the fairest woods are these;
Where, if I were not so tall,
I should live for good and all.

Robert Louis Stevenson

8 comments:

  1. I love your "this and that" posts. Oh, yes, we do have to get more organized when we get older. I have found that I can no longer handle the big weekly food shopping and now go on a few smaller, quicker trips. My mother was always a daily shopper - but that's a bit too much for me. I really love your dark time idea and I am going to try to incorporate it too. Thanks for the book suggestion - going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I hate the morning rush too. I do the same thing as you, Mary -- try to get everything ready the night before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked reading about your "dark time"....so very essential for connecting with one's self and the natural world. Beautiful fairy poem by Stevenson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is lovely. You had a relaxing weekend, and can start the week, with less stress inside, as it were.

    Oh I so hope you can hold onto some of this Weekend Feeling, and take it with you, into the week.

    Gentle hugs...

    "The fairy queen wore velvet cloaks of pansy purple in spring,
    with a petticoat of late yellow trumpet Daffodil."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to hear you had a relaxing weekend Sister! Sounds like it was exactly what you needed. :)
    I agree with you on the Fae realm, and have taught my Grands all about them and to believe in them just as I do. Your book looks to be a good read!
    Have a Joyous and Peaceful Day Dear Mary!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to get the Faeries kindle book. It sounds perfect for those of us who aren't too jaded and still believe in magick. Thank you for the tasty glimpse into it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a perfect heavenly weekend.
    I am looking forward to some days off shortly.

    Is that Celestine Prophesy book an older print.
    If so, I think I have read it already. If it is
    the same one, there was even a movie made from the book. Very interesting read and very close
    to what I believe in my heart.

    Have a great week Mary.

    love and light Sharon

    ReplyDelete