Thursday, July 5, 2012

Thursday This and That

"May the stars carry your sadness away,
May the flowers fill your heart with beauty,
May hope forever wipe away your tears,
And, above all, may silence make you strong."
--Chief Dan George--

Back to work day.  Glad they finally fixed the AC.  The AC had been out since last Thursday and by afternoon with the sun beating in the windows, the 10th floor was like a 'Sweat Lodge'.  It was an inhuman way to work.  By the time I left to go home, my clothes were sticking to me and my hair looked like I had stuck it in the sink and quickly dried it off. 



The Full Moon. She is the ruler of life cycles. She brings powerful, healing energies. On Tuesday night I embraced the moon and rode out the emotional storm that had been unleashed within me.  I no longer have the luxury of stepping into a back yard and standing open, beneath her, but that doesn't mean I cannot feel her energy. Turning out all of the lights and lighting a scented blue candle (Moonlit Walk and Wandering Stream)  brought me a great deal of comfort.  The blue candle represents the ocean and sky, my two favorite places. It energies are
 cooling, and it promotes healing energies, patience, peace, protection, understanding,and wisdom. I just sat there quietly, sorting through thoughts, and surrounding myself with healing energies. I just cannot allow this fear to gain control. I don't know what time it was that I went to bed, but I didn't get up until 9 am, late for me, and only because my cat decided that it was time to eat.

The 4th itself was an enjoyable day for me.  I didn't go out, much too hot and humid. Instead,  I spent much of the day researching low sodium diets, bought the DASH diet book for my Kindle, chose recipes, and made out my weekend shopping list.  I'm looking forward this weekend.  Shopping for and trying out my new recipes looks to be fun. I'll be sure to clue you in on my favorites. 

On that note, I had a strange dream last night. It seems that I was having a party, for what, I don't know.  Sent my son to get the food, and he came back with an enormous pan of ziti with meatballs, hot and spicy chicken wings, and macaroni with cheese...all of my favorite foods. He also had with him two large shopping bags filled with meat...and the meat wasn't packaged.  It was just tossed into the bags and I was supposed to cook it all. Just goes to show how much I allowed food to run my life.  I've been thinking about 'never' having these foods again, but 'never' is too long a time. But, by working diligently on lowering my blood pressure, I hope one day to be able to indulge, in great moderation, of course, in those comfort foods I left behind...and who knows, by then, I'll probably be so trained in another way of eating I won't even want them anymore.

But if these years have taught me anything it is this: you can
never run away. Not ever. The only way out is in.

Junot Díaz



4 comments:

  1. I can assure you... You will lose your desire for so many foods... Which at one time, you thought you could never stop *dreaming of.*

    Be assured!

    Some (wonderful) how... Our body can replace our dependence on many foods... With the JOY of Taking Good Care of Our Health. I don't know HOW. I don't question HOW. I just relax into it. :-)

    Nope, we can never hope to become sooooooooooo healthy, that we will never age again, etc. No, of course not.

    But the satisfaction of trying to do all that we can, as consistently as we can, to maintain our Health -- Some how sets in.

    Really...

    NOW, if I can translate all the above, into consistent daily exercise -- I'll be a happy camper! -grin- You get a daily walk in, every working day, already!!!!

    Gentle hugs,
    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you an easy transition into your new way of eating. Can't wait to hear about which recipes you like.

    Very glad to hear that the air is back on at work. It's not ok to suffer through the heatwave you've been having out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary.....Just checking in.....LOVE that last quote.

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that prayer Mary and it has great meaning for me, so I shall claim it with love.

    I miss stepping into my back yard so much.
    Your dream is so intricate, you remember every detail. Gosh I forget them so quickly once I
    awaken. I have to write it down or boom...
    it is gone.

    I love hot and spicy foods as well...
    methinks if we cannot get them in waking time
    we opt to gorge on them in our dreams.

    Just as much fun, and without the calories
    and the salt. Good for you.

    You are a smart little cookie.

    hugs and love Sharon

    ReplyDelete