Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Gladness of Nature



I'm pretty much at a loss for words today. Sometimes the words just aren't there. Yesterday we had a storm to remember.  It was late afternoon, and we were in a staff meeting when the sky opened up.  The thunder rang out, and the lightning struck over in the roof garden across from us.  Next, came the hailstones beating against the window.  Needless to say, I'd taken a spot near the window to admire the storm and quickly changed my mind, moving my chair to a position where I could watch the show, but far enough away to feel a bit more secure.  Don't forget, we're up there on the 10th floor.  Even on a calm day one can hear the whistling of the wind. 

Thankfully, the storm which actually blew over fairly quickly not only lowered the temperature, but also the humidity level.  It was so much more pleasant when I left the office last night than it had been in a long time. Mother Nature blessed us with a much-needed reprieve.  And with that, I will leave you to the following wonderful poem.


Is this a time to be cloudy and sad,
When our mother Nature laughs around;
When even the deep blue heavens look glad,
And gladness breathes from the blossoming ground?

There are notes of joy from the hang-bird and wren,
And the gossip of swallows through all the sky;
The ground-squirrel gaily chirps by his den,
And the wilding bee hums merrily by.

The clouds are at play in the azure space
And their shadows at play on the bright-green vale,
And here they stretch to the frolic chase,
And there they roll on the easy gale.

There's a dance of leaves in that aspen bower,
There's a titter of winds in that beechen tree,
There's a smile on the fruit, and a smile on the flower,
And a laugh from the brook that runs to the sea.

And look at the broad-faced sun, how he smiles
On the dewy earth that smiles in his ray,
On the leaping waters and gay young isles;
Ay, look, and he'll smile thy gloom away.

William Cullen Bryant 

8 comments:

  1. I remember a hurricane from when I was about 3 or 4 years old and that scared the heck out of me. That thunder and lightning was making a loud cracking and booming sound and I was beneath my Nanna's bed. Even though it was night and we had black out blinds, the room was lit up like it was daylight and it went on and on all night long.

    I do not like loud thunder and lightning to this day. Lots of flooding and damage done.

    I always stay away from the windows and approach with caution. I am not much of a
    risk-taker at all.

    hugs Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love a good storm (as long as there is no damage). So filled with energy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our personal blogging muse, does take a little holiday, now and then. :-) That's fine...

    After all, you had that magnificent (and scary too) storm to tell of. And how the humidity was lowered, after it came through. Lovely!!!

    "Summer set lip to earth's bosom bare,
    And left the flushed print in a poppy there."

    ~Francis Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you moved away from the window or else you'd have been . . . . HAIL MARY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even here in Sunny So. Cal we got a smattering of rain. Nothing like where you are but enough to definitely make me smile. Love the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love a downpour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love a good storm! :) Smart of you to move away from the window though. I'm happy the humidity levels have lessened for you, Mary, and that you got the reprieve you needed.

    Have a Beautiful Day..
    With Love,
    Akasa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mary.....just checking in....we have been up in cool weather for the last few days...oh boy....this heat is really something isn't it. Glad to see you will be able to get into the doc next Monday....I'll keep checking in on you.

    Love from here,j

    Jo

    ReplyDelete