Thursday, July 26, 2012

Sometimes by Herman Hess



I love the following poem so much that I just had to share it with you.  The words are so special, so meaningful.  It speaks to me of a time, so long, long ago, when man lived close to nature, and  man consciously viewed   all life  as interconnected. This was  a time when all life was sacred. Man and all other life forms--plants, insects, stones, rivers-- were powerful allies connecting in a heartfelt thought form to communicate what was best or necessary for all species. Our ancestors performed rituals in sacred groves of trees to ceremonially connect with the divine. They knew the power of nature. We were all a part of the Great Mother from whose womb all of life came forth and to whose womb all life returned at death.

So, close your eyes. Imagine yourself living during the time of your ancient ancestors, before the days of computers, cars, cell phones and television, a time when civilization young, and people lived close to nature. Imagine, if you will, the magical forests through which our ancestors followed winding paths, fairy folk and nature spirits stirring amongst the oaks and elders. The veil was thinner then, and spirit and man lived side by side.  Nature was alive and mankind revered her.


I like to believe that Herman Hess’s poem describes what it used to be like:


Sometimes, when a bird cries out,
Or the wind sweeps through a tree,
Or a dog howls in a far off farm,
I hold still and listen a long time.

My soul turns and goes back to the place
Where, a thousand forgotten years ago,
The bird and the blowing wind
Were like me, and were my brothers.

My soul turns into a tree,
And an animal, and a cloud bank.
Then changed and odd it comes home
And asks me questions. What should I reply?

Herman Hesse
Wishing  you all a great day.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful...

    But pointing out, how much we have lost...

    Also pointing to the fact that we have to work on regaining some of this ancient connection. If we are to do so, at all.

    Work, but worth it...

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiz a lovely poem Mary. One of my favourite movies is Avatar because they are a people that live with a sense of oneness with the earth.

    They understand we all are connected by the web of life. The know that when something bad happens to one, it affects everyone.

    We are all one family.

    beautiful post.

    I finally figured out how to put that link thingy on my page so people can link to you and other friends.

    It is kind of like a web, in itself.

    have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that IS a great poem! I've never read it before -- thanks! The only thing I've ever read by Herman Hesse is his fab novel Siddhartha, which I enjoyed very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's truly a lovely poem!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Absolutely stirs the soul. And the picture is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We call ourselves "civilized" and yet we destroy that which is far more important. Love this piece, Mary, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Near 12:30 noon (Thurs.) and I'm back again. Heard news of a fire in Brooklyn and thought of you. No real information yet. Just film.

    And thank you for thinking of me, when you heard the "Break Up Of Robsten" news last night. ,-))) I was shocked. But... Now I am not. I did some of my *amateur sleuth stuff thinking* and I think I have it kinda' figured out. ,-)

    ReplyDelete