Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I Hear America Singing



I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear,
Those of mechanics, each one singing his as it should be blithe
and strong,
The carpenter singing his as he measures his plank or beam,
The mason singing his as he makes ready for work, or leaves off
work,
The boatman singing what belongs to him in his boat, the deck-
hand singing on the steamboat deck,
The shoemaker singing as he sits on his bench, the hatter singing
as he stands,
The woodcutter's song, the ploughboy's on his way in the morn-
ing, or at noon intermission or at sundown,
The delicious singing of the mother, or of the young wife at work,
or of the girl sewing or washing,
Each singing what belongs to him or her and to none else,
The day what belongs to the day—at night the party of young
fellows, robust, friendly,
Singing with open mouths their strong melodious songs.

--Walt Whitman--

Meanwhile, today I celebrate my own special Independence Day.  It was three years ago that I lay the cigarettes down and never picked them up again. Please, for those still smoking, think about what it is doing to your body. They say it is a slow suicide. As one gent aptly put it to me the day before I stopped, "The next puff you take could be the one to start that cell growing."  Never forgot that. The following are my stats as per my quit meter:

Three years, 6 hours, 11 minutes and 26 seconds. 16443 cigarettes not smoked, saving $8,057.49. Life saved: 8 weeks, 1 day, 2 hours, 15 minutes.

To those still smoking, quit now before it catches up to you...and it will.  I never thought it would happen to me. For those who don't think about health, take a look at the cash saved, and it really should be more.  When I quit here they were $9.50.  Today they are $12 and over.  

Nonetheless, I'm not here to put a damper on anyone's day.  The 4th is a day of celebration, a day to rejoice, be proud and salute all those brave warriors who fought for the freedom of our country. It is a day to feel proud of.

Let there be peace, love and happiness for you on this July 4th.

Fourth of July, how sweet it sounds,
As every year it rolls around.
It brings active joy to boy and man,
This glorious day throughout our land.

We hail this day with joy and pride,
And speak of our forefathers who died;
Who fought for liberty in days of yore,
And drove the British from our shore.

We, as descendants of that race,
Should not now our land disgrace.
Arise, freeman, arise once more,
Be earnest as in the days of yore.

Julia A Moore

4 comments:

  1. I've never been a smoker but completely understand the addiction they bring b/c of family members and friends who smoke or used to smoke. They say it is absolutely one of the hardest addictions to quit. So, I hope you're really proud of yourself and your independence from smoking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Fourth, Mary. Congratulations on quitting cigs. Be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Independence Day, Mary, in both senses! Three years smoke-free is a major accomplishment -- brava for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 4th Mary. Sounds like you Dr. appointment went well. I'm thinking positive results for you. Keep us posted on the outcome. X.

    ReplyDelete