Friday, May 7, 2010

Nature Ramble


Good morning, everyone.  Thanks so much for all the tips about healing  my legs.  It's been a rough week, but I am finally finding some relief.  Being able to fall asleep at night was the worst.  I tried my darnedest to take my thoughts off the itch, but you know how the mind tends to dwell on uncomfortability.

This morning I was awakened by the birds singing outside my window.  It was earlier than my alarm was set, but I didn't care...it was such a joyful sound to awaken to. It makes me realize how lucky I am.  You know, I always complain about living in the city, and since I must live here at this time, Brooklyn has to be the best place to live.  It's close enough to the city, yet still has that magical touch of the country.  I love living on a tree-lined street with yards of beautifully colored and scented spring flowers.  I find my walks from the subway home are slower in the springtime because I LOVE this season so much; it is at this time of the year that I make the time to BE in nature....to watch and listen to the birds, the flowers growing effortlessly.  The beauty of the season makes you appreciate each moment for what it is...precious.  

It is shame that society's fast pace leaves so many of us feeling breathless.   How many of you rush blindly through your day, falling exhaustedly into your bed, only to wake up the next morning and do it all over again?  Our lives seem to be composed of meaningless moments which are all strung together as we worry about the future, hold regrets about the past, or try to rush through our current experiences to get to the next while we completely ignore the present.

By focusing on the wonder of nature, we can lose ourselves in the moment...reduce stress...find peace...and become increasingly spiritual.  Take time to focus and observe your surroundings.  Observe the clouds; notice the grass blowing in the breeze.  What a wonderful world it is!

9 comments:

  1. Yes, it's so important to take time to smell the roses, isn't it? Sometimes literally! Have a wonderful weekend, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~today i will loose myself and soak up the beauty all around me...mr. sun has already made his appearance...hope for a l♥vely day to come about...thank you for the reminder to simply BE...wishing you a wonderful day...brighest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful reminder to "stop and smell the flowers". Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. every day when i take my dogs out back to our creek i notices the changes and i love the sound of our birds

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such true words! I love my walk to and from work!This time of year truly is beautiful isn't it? hope all is well in your world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes what a beautiful place to be :) Mother nature always amazes me i love just to sit and wonder at it all x x blessing for a great weekend x x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the mornings that the birds awaken me! It is usually an awesome day. This time of year is so new everyday. Take the time to enjoy it!

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so agree with you Mary! I was having a hectic day, and I stopped at a greenhouse to walk through and smell the flowers. It's amazing how quickly my mood shifted, surrounded by all those scents!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have noticed birdsong so much more this spring. Sometimes it is good when we stop and look around and realize what we have.

    Sobeit

    ReplyDelete