Thursday, January 31, 2019

Thursday Odds and Ends


 My daughter and son enjoying their lasagna. 
Put this family tree book together for my daughter.  I knew she would take care of it and pass it on.  My boys are just not so into it.  I typed every single family line out and then went to the library to copy the pages.  I could have put the tree together with a lot less work with Ancestry, but they just repeat over and over again.  Each colored file signifies another family line.
 This is my little Mary Magdalene.
This is one of my cutout books.  I love the dolls and clothes, but somehow the childhood imagination that once brought them to life isn't there right now.
 My dad and I in front of the tree, 60 years ago.
 My mom and her sister Dorothy. 
 A painting I did several years ago.  I really need some improvement...a lot of improvement.
I buy ornaments for all my deceased pets.  This was bought for my beloved dog, Susie, my very first pet. 
 I was taking a course at Brooklyn College given by author and founder of Share-a-Smile.  Her motto was 'change the world one smile at a time'.  It was such a fun course.  One homework assignment was to look in the mirror every morning and sing happy birthday to ourselves.  Other assignments included handing out these pins and bookmarks.  What a special lady!  She was a thyroid, breast, colon, and liver cancer survivor and author of six books of self-healing techniques that can positively energize your body and mind. 
One of my downfalls is jelly donuts.  That's why you don't find them in my house very often.
This was one of the snack subscriptions I received awhile back.  Wouldn't mind paying the price if I like anything that they sent me, but all the stuff tasted nasty to me.  Maybe I'm just not used to healthy snacks like this.

12 comments:

  1. No, it's not just you -- I think a lot of those "healthy snacks" taste nasty too. That genealogy binder is a great gift to have made for your daughter! It's true that only certain family members are only ever interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the snacks were pretty darn expensive too. Never again.

      Delete
  2. That is a lovely book that you made for your daughter. I have family tree books that were made by others and appreciate them very much. So far, though, there is very little interest from my children. Maybe when they get to my age they will want to look at them. them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seem females are more interested in the family tree books. My 3 sons could care less. My daughter loves learning about our history.

      Delete
  3. Lovely family photos and that book is a great idea to pass on to future generations.

    Ah yes, I remember the Barbie cut-out books. I lived for Barbie dolls as a little girl.

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had a real Barbie. Only had the fake ones. Think I would still like one. You're never too old.

      Delete
  4. Very nice photos... reminiscing is bitter sweet.
    Love the book you made. Thankfully your daughter is interested.
    Precious paper dolls. I played with them as a child, too.
    I don't trust pckaged "healthy snacks."
    I think you create wonderful art!
    God bless the woman who was a cancer survivor. She is amazingly strong.

    Hug 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's no longer teaching. I know her hubby took ill and she was close to 90. I really do miss her.

      Delete
  5. Love your book. Perhaps your boys will come to it later.
    Healthy snacks often taste bland to me. I am obviously a salt and sugar addict, and miss them when they are removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so chalky and the so-called healthy peanut butter cups turned my stomach.

      Delete
  6. I think the book you made is wonderful, and I like the painting you did those years ago.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. That book you made for your family is wonderful Mary!! A lot of work went into that! I love jelly donuts too! LOL! I love the "Share A Smile", so true! Too bad about the healthy snacks! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete