Monday, January 21, 2019

Monday Morning This and That

Good morning everyone.  It's a cold one here in Brooklyn, NY.  Only 7 degrees. Wind chills make it feel like -15, and ice is everywhere.  All that rain has frozen over.  You couldn't pay me to leave my house today.  Just going to hang out and relax.

So, on Friday I received a jury duty notice to appear in the courthouse at 8:30 am.  Such an ungodly hour in the dead of winter, the coldest month of the year. Who knows what the weather would be like then.  I had already postponed once, and there were no more postponements so I called ready to plead with them to postpone one more time, at least when the weather was a bit warmer.  I can't take subways and with buses would have to leave my house by 6:30 am, the latest, in order to get there in time. Imagine a 71 year old woman with a cane standing around in the cold darkness waiting for a bus.  

Well, I was prepared to plead and beg, but didn't have to do either.  Seems that due to my age I could automatically be taken off the roster if I chose.  She explained that at one time there was a law in effect that stated no one over 70 should be called for jury duty, but when some people started complaining it was age discrimination, the law was changed and now it is by choice. Awesome.  Of course I said 'take me off'.  My friend at WW didn't know this and she went and suffered in pain for a week afterwards. The chairs were so uncomfortable so I dodged a bullet. I have to get up and down to keep my back straight, and I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate that if I was sitting on a jury. 

Received my latest succulent box.
At least USPS did not leave this one sitting on a hot radiator for hours like the last plant.  Fortunately it did survive.
They threw an air plant in also.  Last one I had didn't make it too long, but this one looks in much better shape.  Actually, to be honest, I have no idea how to take care of this plant. 

When I got home from shopping on Saturday there was a notice in the lobby. The electricians want entrance to every apartment, starting today, so they can put another outlet in each kitchen. Come on now. It would be different if everything was put back as it was, but they leave holes and then the painter comes in and paints white around it. My apartment is finally back in shape, and it's not white, it's an off white.  Don't have any more of the paint to touch it up. Nope, not gonna happen here. Besides, I already have 5 OUTLETS in my small kitchen, and I only use 3. How many do I need? 6?  For what?

Have an awesome day.

11 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get out of jury duty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have minded if the trip hadn't been so long. But I'm thankful now they will never call on me again.

      Delete
  2. I was being called every year for jury duty, both Federal and local. I reached 70 and did not expect to receive another summons, but one arrived in the mail anyway. I called and was taken off the jury pool. I would not mind going if it wasn’t such a long trip but driving that distance in the morning with heavy traffic is not anything I want to do anymore.

    All you have to do with an air plant is spray it with water about once a week and they will be fine. In the winter, when the house may be dry, spray it twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice on the air plant. That's my main reason for not wanting jury duty. Too early in the morning and a long trip. 2 hours by bus.

      Delete
  3. I have never been called for jury duty, and you have me wondering what our age related rules are.
    Love your succulent. And echo the advice on the air plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most places are about 70. It is not generally known here. It is only by request.

      Delete
  4. Pleased you didn't have to go for jury duty.
    That succulent looks very nice.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so relieved. It's not safe standing out waiting for buses at the time I had to leave.

      Delete
  5. So happy for you about the Jury duty! I hope the weather gets better soon for you! I think we have went through the worst of it.
    I love the plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I called. Wasn't going to, but figured it was worth a shot.

      Delete
  6. Yes, so glad for you about no more jury duty.

    ReplyDelete