Monday, January 28, 2019

Monday This and That

Good Monday morning everyone.  Another week begins.  I'm off this morning to my classes.  There was a list in the lobby of days electricians needed access to apartments.  Mine was supposed to be today.  Went straight to the super and told them I wasn't going to be home.  I had class and wasn't going to miss it.  I'm so sick of this crap and feel bad for those people who have to have their kitchens torn up again.  I am refusing it, but I already have 5 outlets.  I don't need another.  It seems as time passed they became more and more anxious to complete the job so they cut corners.  Now the building inspector has ordered more outlets in the kitchen.  

This is what I find when I walk to the subway to add money to my fare card.
Is it any wonder why I want to move?  The neighborhood is changing now, and not for the best.  So sad.  At one time I loved it here.

On Friday I mentioned my ex and that because of him, I had no savings.  Well, I was with him for 15 years.  I had good credit, and he had none.  He wanted a credit card but couldn't get one, so I co-signed for him.  I don't think they ask for co-signers anymore, but back then, 40 odd years ago, credit cards weren't as plentiful as they are now often asked for a co-signer.  Moving forward now, I left him in 1991 due to emotional and physical abuse. Little did I know that he had run up the card to its limit, never made a payment, and received a judgement against him which he never paid.  He passed away in 1996. 

The bill was turned over to a collections agency, but I didn't know anything about it.  Whatever bills were sent our old address, and I never even knew there was a judgement out there.  Fast forward almost 20 years later.  I got to the bank to withdraw my rent money, and I find I am -$5000 in the bank.    Turns out that a judgement is good for ten years.  After ten years the party can renew the judgement for another ten years.  They obviously never tried to reach me in all that time because they sure did find me only a couple weeks before the second ten years was up.  They had held onto the judgement all this time so they could get the most interest out of me.  Talk about unscrupulous companies.  That should not be allowed.  So, they cleaned out my entire bank account and left me in arrears.  Not only that, my salary was garnished for almost two years thereafter.  I was 62 at the time. Was never able to build anything back up.

Made this healthy soup on Sunday.  Have enough in the freezer to last me for awhile. 
Brocolli, cauliflower, corn, zucchini, string beans, peppers, onions, corn, celery, carrots, chick peas, tomatoes, sodium free chicken broth, cardamom, parsley, garlic powder, thyme, Harissa spice, Baharat spice, coriander, red pepper flakes, and white pepper.

 About 10 minutes before done a quarter of a cup of red wine vinegar.

Have a wonderful Monday.

21 comments:

  1. You have been through so much. But you have the determination to make your life the best that you can...good for you! And you sure can cook :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cooking. Always have. That soup was so good. Just had a bowl for dinner with a salad.

      Delete
  2. Credit cards are dangerous in the wrong person's hands alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are. Took me two years to get caught up.

      Delete
  3. That is so sad and, unfortunately, it happens quite often. They still require co-signers for someone with no credit. We got burned a couple of times years ago-but nothing like you had happen to you.

    That is an awful mess on the street. I don't blame you for wanting to move. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would never co-sign for anyone again. Lesson learned the hard way.

      Delete
  4. That soup looks GOOD.
    Hiss and spit at both the garbage and the debt you were inflicted with. And another hiss and spit for the company which waited to maximise their return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very unscrupulous company. Lots of complaints against them. Nothing I could do to fight it.

      Delete
  5. Your soup looks and sounds so good and tasty, love the ingredients in it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having soups in the winter. That tomato soup you posted look like something to try.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, let's try this again. I screwed up 2 comments so had to delete them.LOL. There should be an "edit" button. But then again, I should have "previewed" before hitting Publish. Ah well...

    Wanted to say that your soup looks mouthwatering! Very nutritious with all those veggies.

    Too bad you had to go through such a rough time. :-(

    Neighbourhoods change - it's not nice to watch as they deteriorate. My hometown as well. Back in the 50's we never locked doors, left toys and bikes out on the lawn in summer and everyone looked after everyone else. A long-lost era.

    Have a great week and keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A new wave of ethnic groups is taking over here...and much too quickly. Not like in the past when the changeover was slow.

      Delete
  9. What a terrible, selfish man he was. So sorry you had to go through all that.

    I remember that when I got my first credit card (J.C. Penny) my husband had to co-sign - because I was a woman. I was so angry because I had a part time job at the time and made a decent salary. Thankfully, things have changed. Glad those days are over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yes. It's much better for women nowadays. I don't even remember how I was able to get credit cards back then, but my credit was good. That's another thing that took time. Rebuilding my credit.

      Delete
    2. I remember those days. My husband also had to co-sign my credit cards. And I was working as well! What an insult!

      Delete
  10. I've seen the trouble credit cards can cause in the wrong hands...frightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I look back on it, I realize how intimidated by him back then. I think now would know better.

      Delete
    2. Hindsight, Mary and experience. We were young back then...

      Delete
  11. Mary, first I have to say, I'm sorry about the garbage and how your neighbourhood has changed. Second I have to say, I am so sorry for what happened to you!! That is horrible how they took your money, for what he did on the credit card!!!
    I love the soup you made! Wow, looks yummy!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete