Friday, January 4, 2019

Friday Roundup

Well, as we come to the end of the first week of the new year, I have to pause to catch my breath.  It's been both quiet and busy this week on alternate days.  New Year's Eve was a quiet one.  I made some stew beef with carrots and potatoes for dinner, then sat around watching The Twilight Zone until it came time for the New Year's Eve show.  Made it to 12, but by 12:15 I was under the covers.

Tuesday I made us a special meal--pernil, arroz gandules, okra for hubby, and broccoli for me.  No sweets were purchased for this holiday.  We both had enough.
Pernil came out perfect.  It was so juicy and fell right off the bone.  My granddaughter had made a pork shoulder for our Christmas reunion, but, I hate to say it, it couldn't touch mine.  It's all in the way you cook it.
First I make my sofrito.  Peppers, onions, garlic, olives, olive oil, and tomatoes. 
Then I poke holes and stuff the sofrito in.  The pernil then goes into a cooking bag and marinates in the fridge overnight.  I cook it in the bag.
Candles lit themselves again. Only on the holidays. Christmas Day and then on New Year's Day. Very strange indeed.

Wednesday was another stay in day, only this time I didn't have to do a thing.  Cooking already done the day before.  So I sat around and started reading "Circe".  Great book. 

Thursday I didn't make my WW workshop. The nightmare continued. Yesterday the turned off all the power to connect a new box to the main source of electricity. They had said 4 hours, but it turned out closer to 5. I had read where a full freezer will stay colder longer. Mine was not full at this point, but I did have a lot of beans and soups on the door shelving that I moved to the regular shelves to fill them up. Didn't lose anything there. Actually, I probably didn't lose anything, but I am so fussy about food. Had dysentery one time, and I imagine it's a lot like E Coli. Don't want to go through that again. So out went the milk, eggs, soft cheeses, and cold cuts. Rather be safe than sorry.
 

Have a doctor's appointment this morning.   Didn't go last Friday because it was pouring, and one thing I hate is a chilly rain.  Makes my bones ache more than they already do.  Then, Sunday I have my third Christmas and surprise birthday party for my son's girlfriend.  We already had Christmas Eve here, Christmas in New Jersey last weekend, and now Christmas in the Bronx with my son and goddaughter.   I've become quite the party animal in my old age.

Have a wonderful weekend.






12 comments:

  1. Party on! And I'm glad you're enjoying Circe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh,I am loving that book. Already thinking about what comes next after I'm done reading it? A letdown for sure.

      Delete
  2. You are a party animal :)
    Every meal you post here on your blog looks so delicious that my mouth begins to water... yummy!
    I like those candles. You may have an old soul in your apartment who misses the light of a candle's warm glow...electric or otherwise.
    A good book to read is a wonderful way to spend the day.
    I do hope that soon your apartment will get back to normal. You and the other tenants have gone through enough construction.

    Have a great day 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have we ever been through it. They are still working downstairs, but still have to do the front lobby. More noise and more dust to be tracked into my apartment.

      Delete
  3. Your pernil looks AMAZING! I haven't made one in years, let alone arroz con gandules. Only made the rice once, but I thought I did good for a Polish girl LOL. I've always wanted to make my own recaito because that's what his family used, but I can't find culantro to save myself and out here I can't find the Goya frozen or in the jar anywhere. If I ever get back east, I'm picking some up! I've never cooked with the sofrito, which I can find in the jar at least.
    Another Christmas? How awesome!! Party on Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can make your own sofrito. I make it, I don't buy. Just blend the ingredients above that I used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I error on the side of caution with food also!!!

    Hopefully the work on your place is about done!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had dysentery one time. That was enough for me.

      Delete
  6. Definitely party on. Good luck with the doctor's appointment. I had to google pernil - I hadn't heard of it. Glad that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too had to google pernil - it looks and sounds delicious :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is delicious. Hubby is Dominican and taught me to make it.

      Delete
  8. That meat looks so good~ I'm sorry about the food you had to throw out! Keep partying girl! LOL! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete