Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Thursday Odds and Ends.


At my job. This little guy was so special.   Smart as a whip he was, and he loved to play and pose for pictures, as you can see. I was devastated when he passed away.  We think a client put a little piece of some kind of food in his tank. 
Before we moved here, I used to have to climb all these stairs every morning to catch the train.  I couldn't do it anymore.
My workspace was always filled with whimsical characters.  I was always a prankster and loved lightening up the mood of a tense office environment.  (I've shown that shell sitting next to my keyboard on a previous Odds and Ends.  A gift from a client). 
Both of these little guys sang.  The flower used to sing 'hello' and was very sensitive to touch.  I had her sitting next to the candy dish I always kept in my office...when I had one before my office moved.  One day my co-worker reached over to grab a few candies, and the flower started singing.  Scared the crap out of my co-worker.
 This little frog used to sing Kenny Roger's "The Gambler".
The white one with the bushy hair used to sing  "Play that Funky Music White Boy', and little Officer Ron sang "Bad Boys".   One evening I was about to run my parole group and informed members that Officer Ron would be attending.  Lots of grumbles and client's saying, "I'm not saying a word if HE is going to be here."  Then I pulled him out of my bag and introduced him.  Clients had a healthy laugh on this one.  (Told you I was a jokester).
The beautiful Angel on top of my old tree.  She is half as big as my new little tree so for the time being, she has been retired.
This was such an awesome book, interesting and a bit out of the norm for me.  The author was struck down by a debilitating virus and spent months in bed.  A friend picked up a woodland snail and brought it to her in a pot.  This book is an account of her time with the snail. She spent hours observing it, reading about the biology of mollusks, and even became the first person known to witness a snail tending its eggs. Eventually, she was well enough to convalesce at home, and she chose to have the snail returned to its natural home, too.
A Halloween party at the senior center I used to attend.
One day I was eating a watermelon and a pit dropped to the ground.  Before I knew it, this little watermelon, along with several others, was growing in my magical garden.
My hair went from this one morning....
To this by the afternoon...and I have never had it long again.
Bought these candles at EBay.  They were supposed to be Yankee Candles, but all of them had the same floral smell despite one supposedly being pine, another citrus, etc.  And when lit, they didn't really smell at all.  Last time I ever shopped with EBay.

10 comments:

  1. Good morning Mary :)
    I enjoy reading your odds and ends...thank you for sharing.
    We sure can become attached to our pets. This one was adorable and he sure does seem to know that you wanted to take his photo...he even seems to be smiling.
    Life is so much more enjoyable when we can have some of our favorite little treasures around us...especially at work.
    This book does sound like an interesting story. A snail bringing encouragement...how wonderful.
    I still wear my gray hair long. My hair reaches almost to my waist. It is just who I am :) Your hair looks very pretty short.
    To bad about those candles. That was a shame.
    Love your heavenly angel! Maybe she can be on top of your tree another Christmas.

    Hugs ❄🎄❄🎁❄🎅❄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got my days mixed up. Wordless Wednesday for tomorrow. Since retirement days seem to meld into each other, especially when classes are on break.

      Delete
  2. A real miscellany of interesting tid-bits this morning, Mary! Love Officer Ron! And long hair is such a pain to look after -- good riddance! Short hair is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had enough little animals to give to give each of my co-workers one when I left. I love seeing them still there when I visit.

      Delete
  3. Wow- I was sure I left a comment here but I might have had something at work distract me and clicked off without posting it.
    I find that book to be quite interesting.
    I wear my hair long still. I have talked to the gal at the salon a few times about going shorter and she always talks me out of it. It is who I am, I guess. lol I do love your cut!
    I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same thing happens to me here...only distractions can be dangerous. Can't tell you how many times I put the veggies on to cook and forgot about them...only to be reminded when I heard them frying in a dry pan.

      Delete
  4. I LOVED the Sound of a Wild Snail eating - and should revisit it. Thanks for the reminder.
    Hope your husband is better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the book on Kindle. I'm thinking of a revisit as well Enjoyed it so much.

      Delete
  5. A good odds and ends post. I enjoyed it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your singing characters! They are so cute! Wow, you have gorgeous hair, long or short! That is too bad about the candles! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete