Thursday, December 20, 2018

Thursday Odds and Ends--Christmas Focus


Susie and Tiny.  1950's Christmas.

Mom's brother Uncle Arnold, Arnold Jr, and Grandpa.  1950's Christmas.  Cousin Arnold and I finally re-connected on FB two years ago.  We still haven't met in person, but hope to next summer.  It's been about 60 years since we last saw each other.

My grandmother and grandfather.  Oh how I miss them.  Grandma used to have a small table by the door filled with fruits, nuts, ribbon candy, and old fashioned Christmas candy.  A couple years back I bought some ribbon candy, but it just didn't taste the same.  Was it because a child's taste buds were different or have they changed the way they make the candy. 

Back in the day a gift like that was welcomed by a 12 year old girl.  Today it's all about technology. 


 1950's tree.

 Christmas pose in my new robe.


This was the year before I decided to get rid of the big tree and get a small one.  2015.

A part of my Christmas village.

Christmas 2015.

Dyker Heights, Brooklyn.  This neighborhood goes all out for the holidays.  People come from miles around.  You can no longer drive on some of the streets.  Must park and walk through.

Dyker Heights.

 Dyker Heights.

 Dyker Heights

The Betty Boop ornament I bought hubby.  He has a thing for her.  If she wasn't a cartoon character I do believe I would be jealous.

 Some of the ugly trees they sell in my neighborhood.

 The tree in front of my Church on Christmas Eve.

 An Angel standing in the Church yard.

 The year there was a full moon at Christmas.  Rising over the Church.

 Christmas at my daughter's house.  2016

 Best cake I ever ate.  Cost me a bit of money for this Yule Log cake, but it was well worth it.

 Last years cakes from Fiji's.  Tirimasu, German chocolate, and chocolate mint.


 My Christmas Angels.

Christmas village.





12 comments:

  1. What a wonderful wonderland of Christmasy things and memories you have shared here with us 🎄
    I love the vintage, the new, the memories and everything in between.
    A lovely post Mary 🎅🎁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. Hard to believe that a few days from now we'll be adding some new memories.

      Delete
  2. Oh, those tinsel-drenched trees of the 1950s! I remember them too. Beautiful photos in this post, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought tinsel for my little tree a couple years ago. Still find it all over the place.

      Delete
  3. Such wonderful photos!! Great memories, thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get pretty nostalgic this time a year.

      Delete
  4. Hello! I hadn't thought of ribbon candy in years. Oh, how I used to enjoy it--sticking my tongue through one of the loops! I'll have to find some to see if the taste has changed for me also. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it as a child. Found it bland as an adult. But I love the colors and the memories of it.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful photos and memories. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spent the other night going through my one album of my past. Tears began to flow as memories flooded in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing your photographs and memories.
    Love your Angels and the village.

    Merry Christmas Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful post Mary! Thank you! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete