Saturday, December 29, 2018

Saturday Thought



Soon we will have completed our annual list of good intentions. Across the country there are millions of cigarettes waiting to be stomped out, tons of fat waiting to be lost, miles to be run, lives to be organized, selves to be improved.

Once again, we will pass resolutions as if we were our own Congress, legislating changes in our lives. On a million scraps of paper, we will publish an updated catalog of promises to be filed on the shelf of the self....

But I have a feeling that our resolutions have more to do with controlling our lives than enriching them....

We spend Jan. 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a punch list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. We decide that it's time to get a painful grip on ourselves....

But life improvement is not just a matter of discipline, self-control. It's a matter of expansion, the deliberate pursuit of happiness....

We ought to walk through the rooms of our lives a second time, not looking for the flaws, but for potential.

Ellen Goodman, The Boston Globe, December 1982

10 comments:

  1. This article was perfect for those of us who make resolutions or not!
    I am going to do the same thing...walk throughout my home and think about my life and look for the good. The positive. Be grateful and change only what is absolutely necessary.
    Thank you Mary 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this was perfect. Too many of us look for flaws and miss the potential.

      Delete
  2. Looking for potential, not flaws -- I like this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very good Saturday thought - and I like the picture you've used.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, resolutions are all about what's wrong with us. What about the good?

      Delete
  4. A lovely thought. And how nice to start the new year not beating ourselves up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is going to be a healing year for me. I just know it is.

      Delete
  5. Potentail we all have them. I know I can loose more pounds in 2019, simple because I lost not quite 15 pounds.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, indeed, we do. I took off 53 pounds through WW, hit goal, and then towards the end of this year began sabotaging all the good I had done. I know I have the potential, just have to begin using it again.

      Delete