Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Tuesday Bits and Pieces

And a blessed Tuesday morning to all of you.  I am so grateful for your friendships and to those who did not give up on me when I disappeared.  Trying to run so many blogs at once was just too much of me, and eventually I burned out.  That won't happen again.  

It was miserable yesterday morning--cold, windy, and rainy.  I'd had an awful night's rest as the cold and dampness really gets my osteoarthritis going.  Got maybe an hour or two of sleep.  Decided not to go to class.  Not only was I aching, but I was so darned tired it wouldn't be much fun for me, so I stayed home, and after the laundry guy picked up our laundry, I fell out in a long afternoon nap. 

Almost had a catastrophe here last night. One of our dining room chairs has seen better days.  It was just so wobbly I told hubby just to get rid of it. Definitely need new furniture, but we have been putting it off until we find a new apartment.  We had purchased this dining room table and chairs almost 28 years ago in a used furniture store so You know they had plenty of use before we got them. No telling how old they are.  The table is still in great shape, but the chairs?  Forget about it.  

So we got rid of that old chair and moved  the table out to get the chair out from against the wall to take its place.   I tried to move the table back against the wall to make more room, but it wouldn't budge, so hubby looked to see why it wouldn't move...and low and behold, the legs had lost their screws. It's a round, glass top table and all the legs are intertwined in the center and bolted to hold up the table. It was THOSE screws that were missing.  Don't know what was holding it up. What a mess that could have been had that table crashed to the floor. And someone could have been hurt. 

So what's up for me today?  Nothing, absolutely nothing.  Not feeling much like running about.  Have no money to really go anyplace.  It's not as easy when you depend on monthly checks to survive.  And  May had 5 weeks to it and SS comes on the second Wednesday of the month for me and on the first for hubby. Both of us get our pension on the first. And my pension is used up on those credit card bills due on the 2nd. Either way, that's a fairly long way to go without a check.

“Healing severe or chronic pain, I believe, includes transforming our relationship to the pain, and, ultimately, it is about transforming our relationship to who we are and to life.” 

I just started reading this book and am already halfway through.  In short, it is a guide to help you not just cope with pain but to understand it as well. Sarah Ann Shockley uses her own experience and techniques to compile this book with the hopes of helping others.  Emotions do play a huge role in our experience with pain, and there are times when I get that 'victim mentality'.   I quickly pull myself out of it, though.  Not one to sit around feeling sorry for myself.  Have to be on the move.
Some of my favorite summer time reading.  I go all ocean, mermaid crazy in the summer.  Just love it.  I re-read several of these year after year as well as take many trips out to Coney Island.  I don't go in the water anymore, developed a fear when some woman step on something and came out with her foot cut open, but love being near her. She can be very healing even if you just sit and watch the waves.  I remember back about 20 some years ago I slipped a disc.  What pain.  Nothing would take it away.  For six months I suffered.  Then hubby talked me into going to the beach with him.  At first I didn't want to go.  Too much pain.  But I relented and it's the best thing I could have done for myself.  That water healed me.  When I came out the pain was completely gone.   Laid on the towel and as soon as it came back, I went back in the water.  By that evening the pain was noticeably less and from that day, it got better and better.  Thank you Mother Ocean.

6 comments:

  1. I think all the Angel statues you have in your apartment held up that glass table top so it didn't crash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m glad you avoided disaster with the chair. Enjoy the new chairs when/if you find them. (Or enjoy the repurposed chairs if using what you already have!).

    I’m so excited about my website/blog. I’m trying to temper it with restraint so I don’t burn out....and set it up as easy to maintain!!! Thanks for the reminder!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ocean, but I get nervous about going in it too far myself (mostly because they keep showing videos of sharks passing through, and with my luck I'd absolutely be a shark-snack! Ok, it's silly, but I'd rather hunt for shells anyway!) I'm watching that Siren series that premiered this year while I am painting in my studio this week, actually. So, I have mermaids on my mind too!

    I hope you have less pain going forward!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ocean is indeed very healing! I love it and go to the shore any and every chance I get!

    Those books looks GREAT! As does the book you are currently reading about pain management.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to check out the book about chronic pain. I'm so glad that table didn't fall and hurt you both!
    blessings
    ~*~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy the table did not crash! The books look amazing! Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete